Author Topic: similar title to the above & below  (Read 958 times)

CamW

similar title to the above & below
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:13:06 pm »
Hi everyone,

Well, this is my introduction post. My better half & I looking to get back into dirt/trail bikes in the not too distant future. So I have this crazy idea to slowly build her up a monster VMX-er over the next 12 months in time for her b'day next year. I'll keep you all posted (pun intended).

Cheers,
Cam

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: similar title to the above & below
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 06:10:16 am »
Welcome aboard Cam, hope you get lots from the forum. And we'll be looking forward to hearing more. But... a MONSTER VMXer?  For your wife?

CamW

Re: similar title to the above & below
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:49:25 pm »
Thanks Graeme. Yes, that is the plan -empahsis on plan at this stage.

The background for this (potential) project goes back to her first bike. A DT175 (mid-late 80's - not my first preference r.e: design). She had the DT for awhile before getting into DR's. She fondly reflects on the DT, it's low seat height & hence ease of maneuverability. The DR250 was apparently always more awkward, being taller and only allowing one lot of toes to be touching the ground meant it was less fun in the real world. The DT's issues lay with it being underpowered, lacking suspension travel and having awful brakes.
We're both currently dirt bike-less And as most people get older & wiser. We've somehow become older, faster and more stuborn (both into fast road bikes, cars and so on).
I've not long become a regular reader of VMX quaterly and love the classic, big 4 stroke engines (never liked 2 strokes, after owning a tempermental IT) in low production/custom frames.
Which leads me to here, and wondering what's involved in a DT thumper conversion.