Author Topic: Mikuni VM32ss pilot jet question  (Read 3206 times)

RMJJ

Mikuni VM32ss pilot jet question
« on: January 22, 2010, 08:44:59 am »
1981 RM125x

Sometimes starts from dead cold without choke, wont start with choke on same occasion.
Presumed pilot jet was a bit rich
went down one size, no noticeable difference.
went down another size and dfo worse still

my minds boggled now.
can someone refresh me
should I be going up numbers or down numbers to make the pilot mixture leaner.
One thing I'm unsure about is aftermaket mikuni jets are numbered 30 or 30.5 etc whereas the jet from the factory is numbered 3. Is 3 the same as 30.

should mention the engine was built from nos parts and the carb is clean, all passages are clean as a whistle
Its not an engine fault.

cheers

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mikuni VM32ss pilot jet question
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 09:03:14 am »
I would assume if it won't start without the choke it is in fact lean on the pilot.Screw the air corrector all the way in if that improves you need a larger pilot.
Jesus only loves two strokes

RMJJ

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 09:25:08 am »
No it the other way round Lozza, won't stat on the choke
no choke and fires up first kick and warms up fine, doesn't miss a beat

Try it with the choke and it just wont go.  Its as if its flooded with the chock on.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 12:33:43 pm »
Sorry I misread that. Only ever seen Miuni pilots marked 25,27.5,30 etc etc. What's the air screw set at?
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 06:15:46 pm »
The VM Mikunis doesn't actually have a choke as such, they have a Starter System / fuel enrichment system.  A proper choke is actually a butterfly or slide valve in the carbie that will restrict the air flow and and thus cause a richer mixture for starting. 

On the VM Mikuni the Starter System and pilot circuits are two independant systems. Changing pilot jets will not affect the fuel mixture when using the Starter System. Also, the Starter System will only work if the throttle is fully closed during starting.

The Sudco Mikuni manual, state; "At tempratures above 68 F, the engine can be started without using the starter." 68 degrees F is 20 degrees C, so it would have to be fairly cool to actually need the "choke".

If the mixture when using the "choke" is too rich, there is a Starter Jet within the starter system. I have never replaced a starter jet, and don't even know if you can get alternate sizes.

Altering the air mixture screw or changing to a smaller sized pilot jet will only effect the fuel mixture at idle and at the initial openning of the throttle. So if you engine run ok once it has been started, then the pilot jet is the correct size.

CJ

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:23:19 pm by Colj500 »
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!