Author Topic: YZ-silver colour  (Read 1957 times)

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
YZ-silver colour
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:56:35 pm »
I have a pair of YZ-78 lower forklegs and a swingarm, that have some ugly pitting and scratches. The thing I really want is to polish it back to a bit coarse polished finish and clearcoat it. But from the bad condition of the parts I wonder if i could get away with using filler and silver paint. Is it a good silver/grey colour that could work? I don't think it should be metallic? I want it to look as close to aluminium as possibe. I think mabe the swingarm was painted on some YZ's?
Thanks

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: YZ-silver colour
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:27:41 pm »
The swing arm on my 1980 YZ250G was definitely painted from the factory. Not sure about the 78/79 models.

The fork legs were originally clear-coated.

Most of the decent quality "Aluminium" coloured paints will look acceptable, but a keen eye will be able to spot the difference.
FWIW, I've just painted my KLX250 swing arm, and because the paint was so similar in colour to the aluminium, it was VERY hard to see which bits had already been painted and which still needed more.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:44:04 pm »
Thanks, I have a spraycan called Metal Finish wich is close to what I'm looking for, but I'm not comfortable with paintquality in spraycans, and wonder what the pros use...

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:45:36 pm »
By the way, are you concourse parts? I've been trying to get in touch with you by a couple of emails lately....

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:06:34 pm »
No, I'm not.
Scott is the man http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?action=profile;u=378. Don't know how often he gets onto ozvmx lately, as he's been even more busy than normal lately.
He's helped me out, and the product is good, so I 'advertise' his business in my signature.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline philthy

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 09:12:42 am »
On my 250f resto,the forks were pitted so I sanded them back with wet and dry,and then polished them with autosol on a scotchbrite pad,very time consuming but results were good,I will probably clearcoat them.The swingarm is painted from the factory,so I took it to my local sandblaster / spraypainter and got him to match the colour and then clearcoat it,very happy with the result.
yz125d yz250g yz250f it250j rm125b rm125a