Author Topic: g'day all, another newbie here  (Read 916 times)

metalskin

g'day all, another newbie here
« on: January 06, 2010, 03:28:10 pm »
g'day all. thought i'd hit the intro forum as its usually the most logical place to start.

just recently got myself a 78' dt125e, looking to restore and tastefully modify with mostly oem parts.
looking at what 175 top ends will bolt up, going to change to cdi ignition etc. its a pretty original bike,
been continuisly reg'd since 79', 14,000 orig k's. when i got it, it was a bit sluggish, found out the carb
bowl was full of water, no idea how it was running like that.

since i got rid of the water in the carb it goes a lot harder and i think there may be some issues with it.
when im on the throttle it has a really weird vibration comming from under the seat somewhere,
it feels like the chain is to tight and my tires are overinflated, thats the only way i can describe it.
sorta feels like something is slightly pulling to one side. happens at its worst around 3 - 4k rpm.
the other thing that it was doing when it was running on the water/fuel mix was squeaking from the
bottom end somewhere, now the squeak only happens verry occasionaly soon after start up but its
gone, in its place is this odd feeling from the engine. any help appreciated, from my mechanical issues
to what 175 top ends bolt on, and how other parts match up that might be usable. cheers, Metalskin  :)

Offline dt tas

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: g'day all, another newbie here
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 08:06:26 pm »
hi as far as i know a 175 barrel and head will fit i think you would have to replace both as a 125 head is 4 bolt and a 175 is 6 bolt head pattern the bottom of the barrel are the same i have not done this as i went from a 1 75 to 125 so we could race it in the 125 class you also may need a bigger carby not sure there   cheers george