Author Topic: freezing dents outa alloy tanks  (Read 1279 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
freezing dents outa alloy tanks
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:30:05 am »
is it possable and how? ive got a alloy(dented) tank and i  seem to remember some one here saying that you can fill them with water and wack them in the freezer

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: freezing dents outa alloy tanks
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:33:41 pm »
Dont bother, its not worth the rish on a valuable tank. Get a proper tank pannel beater will get it out via the filler hole or make a small hole or window in base of the tank and get it out that way. The good ones will be able to repair it so you wont even know/see it has been opened at the bottom. Other option is if its a shallow dent and a few ml's reduction in capacity is not an issue for you then there are modern hi-tech body fillers available these days that will fill the dent fine and the so called 'bog' is very good and wont fall out like perhaps it did in the old days or its more due to the fact that the person probably didnt know how to apply it properly.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline misfit

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:24:20 pm »
i am in the process of getting the dents out of a cr250 tank. the method iam using is to make up tools out of steel rod which reach down inside the tank to the dent, then i get out the panel beating hammer and hammer around where the end of the tool is located. its taking bloody ages but it does work. i will have to do a lot of sanding over the areas where i have taking the dents out to smooth the surface of the tank out but this will be nessesary to take out the haevy scratches anyway

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:14:25 pm »
Works good on steel tanks but alloy is to soft & deforms the tank.
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 08:50:16 pm »
Paul ...bad idea and could be costly and end up in tears .  I used the key hole method and came in from bottom of tank on a RM 125 B