Author Topic: cracked in frame  (Read 9074 times)

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
Re: cracked in frame
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 03:25:39 pm »

[/quote]

If you have a close look that frame has been welded in that area twice at the factory, possibly had a defect in the first place.

Don`t be too hard on the welders doing the frames, you need to remember they only have 50% vision in the first place. ;D
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 04:19:26 pm »
I am yet to be convinced that MXers gained anything from alloy frames. I am expecting them to reintroduce a new wonder material, chromoly steel.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 06:24:52 pm »
I agree, thank god the Euro's still use  CR- moly. My opinion why they use alloy is because it's CHEAP!!!. I dont think it's lighter and it's definately not as strong -pound for pound. With all the money and resources the japs have they still carn't make a bike as light as the euros!!!!. It's funny you know, the japs are allways copying someone but I cannot think which euro DIRT- bike manufacturer has made an alloy framed bike and gone on with it? Shouldn't have said that, now somebody will make me eat meso soup -yuk!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 07:49:54 pm »
Soup time,
              TM have been making alloy framed bikes for a few years now without any problems?   Aprillia as well.   

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 11:02:28 pm »
It's MISO and it's beautiful stuff  it will put lots of lead in your pencil ;).
Frames are made from AL- U- forkING -MIN -I- UM because it's possible to cast up many sections with very intricate shapes and weld them all together very cheaply. You can also build in flex and rigidity easier in places you want it.Cr-Mo tubular  frames are far more expensive to manufacture.KTM have an al-u-forking-min-i-um frame just parked in the garage to debut 'when the market demands it'
True that Al has not got the strength to weight ratio of Cr-Mo but it can dampen harmonics/natural frequencies in frames better than Cr-Mo.
Has a lot to do with company policy/market demands also, there is no right or wrong answer.
That IS a nasty crack though, could be from to quick cooling, certainly not from the quality of the welding.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 11:20:16 pm »
Havent they knocked the Aprilla on the head? -450's and 550's gonesky? and as far as TM goes there 7 bikes a year dont count!! ;D

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 08:33:38 am »
Don't be telling Josh Coppins that, he's signed to do MXGP on an Aprilia for 2010  ;)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 09:28:52 am »
I agree, thank god the Euro's still use  CR- moly. My opinion why they use alloy is because it's CHEAP!!!. I dont think it's lighter and it's definately not as strong -pound for pound. With all the money and resources the japs have they still carn't make a bike as light as the euros!!!!. It's funny you know, the japs are allways copying someone but I cannot think which euro DIRT- bike manufacturer has made an alloy framed bike and gone on with it? Shouldn't have said that, now somebody will make me eat meso soup -yuk!!
Hey Davey i hate to say it but the alloy framed Jap 450 mx'ers are lighter than the Euro ones.. especially the Husky.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 09:50:38 am »
Coppins is riding a totaly different bike/engine combo. The original 450 and 550's are that worthless in the UK the only way they can sell is by wrecking them!!. Probably be collectors items one day, should be buying all the parts now if I was smart? The euro mxers all have electric start dont they? I know what I'd rather be starting.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 09:56:19 am »
The husky went back to kick start in '06. The KTM has a nice little electric start on the 450.
I'd rather ride and own an alloy frame Jap bike any day..

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 04:10:57 pm »
The KTM has a nice little electric start on the 450.
I'd rather ride and own an alloy frame Jap bike any day..

Ditto having been on the 2010 RM450, I have hopes for the new RMX.

Speaking of nice little electric starts have you seen where the BMW sited theirs, forms a crumple zone I guess. no wonder Knight ditched it and climbed back on to a Kawasaki to start winning again.

formerly Marc.com

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 05:35:48 pm »
KTM have an al-u-forking-min-i-um frame just parked in the garage to debut 'when the market demands it'

And a bloody linkage on the rear suspension  >:( >:( >:(  thank the yanks for that!
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2009, 07:06:01 pm »

If you have a close look that frame has been welded in that area twice at the factory, possibly had a defect in the first place.

Don`t be too hard on the welders doing the frames, you need to remember they only have 50% vision in the first place. ;D
[/quote]

Well spotted Billet, It's had a factory repair. When you hang shit on todays welders you have to remember you are hanging it on robots.
Robots are brilliant welders but only weld where they are told. If some part doesn't sit exactly right in the jig they can miss bits. That extra weld may have gone on cold when the deformity was discovered as it went through quality control.

The success of repairs depends on why they broke. When things break through exceptional circumstances (crash etc.) then they would repair okay until the next event.
The drama is when things break through normal wear & tear, then the problem will arise again unless extra precautions are taken (extra gussets etc.)

Lozza is right, the aluminium alloy frames are built for ease of manufacture as they require far less parts
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/