Author Topic: did we ever come to a conclusion about the alloy swingarm for the pre'78 RM125's  (Read 37753 times)

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
Doc
What footpegs are on that :D
Out of interest & amazment, how long did this rebuild take you?
Noel
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Hey Doc.
 Can you tell me what the major parts are off year model wise? Like shocks, motor , frame , front end , tank , wheels. Can you list them please? I am also assuming that the swing arm is actually off a '78 model as it doesn't have a tab welded on the arm. Or have I still got it wrong? I have got an interest more so now that I am buying Dodgeys' and would like to be able to pick the difference between the A,B and C.
The wheels on your resto's always look so good. There must be hours and hours in them. Do you buff off the anodising off or strip it with a process?
Also do you keep buffing till all the nicks are out of the alloy or are they still there if you look close enough. Bike looks great.

DR

Rusty, truth be known, if you have a thor arm you probably shouldn't be riding at all :P ;D

Stew, thanks, will have to save the pennies and get a pair I'd reckon ;)

Noel, the pegs 'I think' are RM80 from 2000 onwards. Got them for 20 including postage from ebay singapore or thailand ages ago. I emailed the seller asking for more and he said there were more on the way but I've never seen them since. I'll go back and have a look but pretty sure they were from the RM80. Had to drill the pin hole and a hole for the return spring but they fit perfectly. Personally I hate the look of the wide/fatty pegs on the older bikes and may even remove them :-\ heard about your recent accident also, hope the leg's on the mend soon mate ;) oh..as for the time taken on this bike..about 3 years ::) it was never on the prioety list so it didn't matter so long as it was eventually done  ;)

Brad, the rims aren't as good as the picture makes out. I polish everything using my index finger and autosol. I actually enjoy doing it this way but there are far easier and faster methods obviously.

frame '76 RM125
forks '78 PE250
triples '78 PE250
engine '78 RM125C
pipe '78 RM125C
airbox '78 RM125C (mounts slightly different to A)
front wheel '77 RM125B
rear wheel '77 RM125B
seat ..god only knows..RM something ???

some will say the '78 parts don't belong but ya get that ;D   

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
Hey Doc
I asked how long because on the forum it seems like you build them in a week ;)
IMHO wide pegs are the go, but each to his own.
The leg may not be as bad as was thought, I go for an MRI on Thursday to see what the go is.
I'm gunna be home a fair bit so let me know if you want to try ya bike out. 
Noel   
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
DRZ 125 footpegs are very similar and 1/2 the price from suzuki of RM 80 ones ,last set I got were about $300 kiwi each (so about $1.50 ;D)
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT