Author Topic: Number plate background colours  (Read 5274 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Number plate background colours
« on: November 18, 2009, 08:24:32 am »
Can anyone tell me for absolute sure what the background number plate colour for 250 was in 1968 in Australia. I always thought it was green but I believe it was yellow in the first place and at some point a change was made to green to, I guess tie in with an FIM rule change. If thats true what were the colours for the other classes? Riveting stuff I know but you know what it's like when you just have to find out! Jerry

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Number plate background colours
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:45:16 am »
Hi Jerry,
 It is riveting stuff for those that are newbee's.  ;D some oldskool should have your answer,though
according to the MA book its
up to 125cc Black with white figures
126cc-250cc Dark Green with white Figures
251cc and over Canary Yellow with black figures
Have to get the old movies out again and have a look   ;D  :P
cheers
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:25:57 am »
If ya gonna be Old School don't forget the 350 class ;D; Blue with white.

As long as I've been a spectator or competitor 250 have been green with white. Maybe in the dim distant past............

firko

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:41:59 am »
I'm fairly sure that all plates were originally Black with white numbers then yellow with black numbers until the FIM introduced the Black (125) green(250) and yellow(500) standard. Until the 350 class was dropped in the mid 70's, blue with white numbers was the standard, as Graeme stated.
When VMX first started I had blue number plates on both my Maico and Honda 350s but soon discovered at an early Nats (possibly Ravo '92) that I wasn't allowed to use blue as there was no longer a 350 class. I was told to replace them with yellow for the next meeting. I argued the point (as one does in these situations) but eventually changed them. I'm considering going back to blue on the Cheney RT1 though as my little bit of anti establishment angst although nobody seems to give a shit any more. I'm fairly confident that the current black, green, Yellow system was in use in '68.

Allbrit

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:51:57 am »
I am fairly sure that in 1968 everybody used the oval number plate with yellow background and black numbers.
I think it was in the 1970's when different background number colours came into being in Australian competition.
I do recall that in 1970 (or 1971) I had to change the shape and background colour of numbers on my racing sidecar.
Example of a 1967 machine in original condition.

mx250

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 12:24:40 pm »

When VMX first started I had blue number plates on both my Maico and Honda 350s but soon discovered at an early Nats (possibly Ravo '92) that I wasn't allowed to use blue as there was no longer a 350 class. I was told to replace them with yellow for the next meeting. I argued the point (as one does in these situations) but eventually changed them.
Another example of politically correct pedantic rule enforcement. For my money it is exceptionally minor but historically accurate. VMX is more than racing and GCR's. It's gotta be some sort of balance between, racing, restoring, preserving and 'living museum'

firko

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 12:47:17 pm »
Here's a shot of Alan Jones Cheney Matchless taken in 1966 showing its black number plates.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 01:11:00 pm »
Certainly in 1968 (as I recall) all plates were yellow with black numbers..the old man bought his first HVA a 360 new in 1968 and everyone (all capacities)used the same plates...

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 01:29:14 pm »
And 175's ran a white plate when they had they're own class.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 06:44:33 pm »
Thank you for your considered replies gents. For what its worth I've endeavoured to keep my bike as original as possible (because to me that's part of the enjoyment) however it was was always going to be raced (as long as my wife doesn't find out!) and I am curious to find out whether if I rolled up at the Nationals with yellow plates on my MK3 (1968) Bultaco would I be allowed to compete?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 12:54:57 am »
Thank you for your considered replies gents. For what its worth I've endeavoured to keep my bike as original as possible (because to me that's part of the enjoyment) however it was was always going to be raced (as long as my wife doesn't find out!) and I am curious to find out whether if I rolled up at the Nationals with yellow plates on my MK3 (1968) Bultaco would I be allowed to compete?

I'm fairly sure  ;D  if you have an "H" (Dec 1965-Dec 1970 Class) on it and the right cc color you should be ok for the Nationals.
If its club day you could have what you wish... 8)
What cc is your Bultaco  ???
cheers
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:56:28 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

albrid-3

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 05:06:45 am »
Jerry, My Dot has original number plates and they where Yellow, the change came in  back in the 70`s. My brothers Kawasaki F 21M 250 in 1967 was white with black numbers  and he raced that bike in those days without any problems. I have it all on colour film l will check it out.

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 06:53:41 am »
Thanks again guys. VMX427 it's a 250 cc "boat tail". I've got green plates on it at the moment and I'm tempted to do the yellow thing for authenticity but I dont want to run foul of the authorities at Nationals time. Having said that my anarchic side would like to take 'em on if I had the written proof! Jerry

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 10:12:56 am »
In the 60s my dad always rode with white plates and black numbers and that seemed standard in all capacities. 1972 saw Victoria go to the black/green/yellow and also instituted the rectangular front number plate. They weren't as cared with the side ones and allowed maicos to have the numbers on the trianglur airbox sides.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 01:53:30 pm »
i stopped racing in about 1972, then got back into it about 1990. Up to about '68 i rode a tiger 70,[250] aB31 [350] and a B33 [500] they all had ACU approved racing No 883 all black number on yellow plates. I sold the B31& the tiger 70 by about 1970, i don't remember noticing the different colour system on the smaller cc machines from NSW until i got back into it in the '90s. As an aside, the colouring system had to come 'cause even in those times 500cc B33s occasionally won the 350 class, because the only external difference was the room for a little finger to pass between the barrel bolt and the cylinder barrel on the 350.[My 350 bsa wasnt very fast, mainly because it was never more than 348cc and as heavy as lead but it still got me into B grade.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!