Author Topic: Powder coaters  (Read 3628 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Powder coaters
« on: October 24, 2009, 10:36:56 pm »
Ok normally I would never take up this option for frames etc after seeing so many bad jobs, but I just happen to have some shock springs I want to get done. Are there powder coaters out there that will powder coat over a quality etch primer? I would prefer if I sent the springs already blasted and with an etch primer on because then I can get a coat of primer under the flat coils on the end where they touch because powder coating wont get under there properly. Also that way I also have more control over them rusting or not as I could have them cleaned up nicely and in transit they could develop rust and sit at the powder coaters for weeks before they do them and how will I know/trust that they haven’t just coated over any surface rust? The Answer - i wont know. This way if I send them already with a etch primer ready to go then I know there is not going to be any rust issues.

So next question who are the top quality powder coaters in the country? Im prepared to send anywhere in Australia or even to USA if i have to.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:40:13 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Powder coaters
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 11:51:32 pm »
You'll need to find an etch primer capable of withstanding 400 deg F. Might be a hard call. If you're only doing springs why not buy a powdercoater and do it yourself. You only need an old oven (St George are good - big oven area) to bake the parts in and a bead blaster to get them prepared. It's very easy.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:12:44 am »
Ok thats no problem. I use the white Spies hecker primer and its fine on barrels and 2T pipes It only goes on thin. What about the heat on the springs though :o surely 400 deg F will bugger the springs? one thing i do know is that you dont heat springs up. I do know the real good powder coaters use a primer. The cheapies just whack it on bare metal. If i know some Powder coaters i could ask them if its ok to use my own etch primer.

springs are already bead blasted  ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:16:25 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 12:55:00 am »
I just used a standard etch primer before sending some odds and sods off and had no problems.  They just won't offer you a job warranty thats all but if you have primed well no dramas.  Most Powdercoaters should do it?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 12:56:32 am »
I'm not an expert on spring metallurgy but I've powdercoated a number of sets and never had any problems. Perhaps Walter can answer that one. If your etch primer is good for 400 degrees F I'm sure that a powder coater wouldn't mind you doing it provided you can prove to him that it will handle the temp. The other alternative is to have the springs soda blasted, which leaves a film on the steel that inhibits rust for a fairly long period. You would have to tell your powder coater this so he can clean it before coating.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 01:08:35 am »
ok if anyones used any coaters let me know the good ones so i can ask them. Best to go by word of mouth and on other peoples good experiences. I found one on the gold coast and their website info seemed alright.

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 05:34:36 am »
We do powder coat or chrome the odd spring per day
Chrome plating springs? Isn't Hydrogen embrittlement a worry? I always thought that nickel plating a spring was safer???
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

CBR1000

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 06:04:37 pm »
I recently had a frame and spring on my kx powder coated in leongatha vic by a guy named Peter Miller,
at hi tech powder coating and sandblasting.
And to be perfectly honest he done briliant job of it, I went over every inch of his work and could not fault it.
He has been doing this for 20 odd years only has a small shop and total of 2 staff including him self, but he dose a bloody good
job and well priced too. He dose'nt do chrome but. contact Peter on 56623311, 4 watson rd leongatha vic 3953.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 08:39:44 am »
What about HPC coating, it is a Gucci power coat process, I have had great results. surface finish is much better.

BTW I usually mask up the item first.....gives the powder coater an idea of where the coat goes.

Based on recent experience try to get them not to spray the insides of the brake hubs as well, saves machining it back out.
formerly Marc.com