Author Topic: Pors 15/18 in fiberglass ?  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Pors 15/18 in fiberglass ?
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:21:39 pm »
Okay so i have a few tanks that weep, and i have bought one of them Pors Motorcycle kits ( think its 15 or 18 question area :

Can i use the liner in fiberglass tanks ? and is the process any differant to metal other than the rust converter not being used ? 

does the exothermic properties of POR weaken or delaminate the tank as it hardens ? 

Can a FG Lined tank now Run methonol acetone with out falling apart or is metal still the only holder of that party drug ?

Box says its okay so long as it stays in the tin you can do as many tanks as you like , but im assuming you cant spot repair you have to make a full skin contact inside the tank is this correct ?

im guesisng the little tin can do 2-3 small tanks or can it be thinnned down ?

if i have missed any thing please advise  :P
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:23:32 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

montynut

Re: Pors 15/18 in fiberglass ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:43:00 pm »
Yes you can use POR tank sealer on fibreglass you just leave out the metal prep stage. I would clean with acetone before starting.

I have repaired a damaged and leaking Montesa tank then lined with 'POR' to ensure a perfect seal and some of the new fuels attach old fibreglass resins. The seal was perfect and gives a very smooth fuel tight seal. You only get one chance at sealing a tank and POR as will not stick to itself very well according to the distributor so follow the instructions.

You can do multiple tanks with one kit by pouring the mix from one tank to the next. It would be good to have several people to assist as the POR product is a bitch (almost impossible) to get off anything you drop or spil it on.We did three tanks (1 MX and 2 Trials bike) with the kit I used.

One repaired tank still bubbled the exterior paint when completed the others did not. AHhhhhh! I eventually traced the cause to a small amount of fuel and oil imbedded in the fibreglass around the repair site which comes out in hot weather. This problem is extremely difficult to overcome as it has probably had years to accumulate. I contacted the suppier who recommended;
1) Completely stripping the tank exterior of paint back to the gel coat.
2) Gently heat the area (very careful as you are only trying to drive out any residual fuel) even leave it
    out in the hot sun for a few days is ideal
3) Completely clean the exterior with acetone.
4) Clean the exterior with the POR thinners.
5) Give the exterior 2 thinned coats of POR15 as per instructions.
6) One light coat of POR15 'tack' coat as per instructs. This allows a bond between POR15 and normal
    paint products
7) Paint as desired.

This process seals both the interior and exterior of the tank.
It all sounds long and drawn out but much better than your new paint job lifting. VERY depressing

All Things 414

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:54:06 pm »
I've done about five tanks like this now and none of 'em have leaked.  ;)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 11:41:36 pm »
well thats the problem on one tank is a trick paint job and its got 3 bubbles so must be breathing in ther,  so i only want to reline the tank inside with pors.  When you say acetone the inside is that just a pour and swirl ? im assuming you need to break any oil 2 stroke down from the walls of the tank by some way ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 11:43:21 pm »
Can an internally lined Glass tank hold methonal fuels afterwards ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:33:23 am »
geezas Freaky didn't you remember anything i told you ::),the marine clean is  the 1st step,leave it in a day or 2,(especially premix 2 stroke tanks),but it has to be flushed out,(till water dosen;t feel slippery anymore),then absolutely dry before adding the sealer,don't even atempt to "pool" (concentrate) the POR15 on the problem area,it will exotherme & delaminate,(will crack at the very least!!),just keep rotating the sealed tank(slows the curing), spend about 2-3hrs rotating the tank,& yes you can do 2 small tanks with the 250ml can,i don't bother with acetone,probably ok i guess to use??,good luck, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 03:08:43 am »
Red, White, Blue tank liner kit works and is recommended for fibreglass tanks. I will give you the the manufacturers number so you can ask if its ok to use with methanol if i can not find it writen on a packet.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

montynut

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 02:01:32 pm »
I washed with Acetone by the pour / swirl / dump method. Most important is to wash the tank as many times as you can with the marine clean exactly as Match Mick suggests and then make absolutely sure the tank is dry. It is very important to keep washing until the rinse water is clear and does not feel soapy or greasy in any way. I had to purchase additional marine rinse to acheive this. The POR product is also recommended for fibreglass by the manuafacturer although it is not mentioned on the pack. I beleive it will be OK for all fuels once sealed. Phone and speak to the distributor as I have found them very helpful.

I have also heard great things about the Red White Blue tank sealer so take your choice.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 02:15:22 pm »
follw the instructions and take your time -rushing will stuff .have done a few tanks no drama.only probs i have had,has been selling the kits to customers who rush the job

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 06:10:10 pm »
You can call the Tasmanian Red, White, Blue manufacturer to ask for info/advice on their product  eg Methanol use on  03 6257 1704
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 06:14:09 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022