Author Topic: Future of Viper Racing, indeed all VMX racing. ie Venue/Club support  (Read 12696 times)

All Things 414

Re: Future of Viper Racing, indeed all VMX racing. ie Venue/Club support
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 07:55:29 pm »
The sky certainly isn't falling.

What a great day! Yeah numbers were down a bit but there was still some pretty fierce racing.

Forget marking out a track on an oval and sticking some speed-humps on it or riding around some goat track.....

Monza Park! What a place! Real motocross racing on a  massive motocross track. Huge undulations, huge jumps and huge ruts. It sure made for hard riding and I was absolutely shagged by the place. The joint is a massive roller-coaster and some big ruts formed early in the day which dictated everybody's lines and you really had to think about where you were going or it was game over with everybody around you whilst you fought to regain the 'good' line again. As the day went on traction was unbelievable but again, one wrong move and you were in the gloop.

One point seperated Viper 42 and myself for the overall second for the year and i got the holeshot. For two laps I had Steve all over me and I must admit I was starting to make mistakes however passing was very hard. Steve made his move through the double tabletops and in a fit of desperation he fed the big Maico just a little too much in an effort to pass me going into the corner. Well poor Steve nearly ended up flying all the way to Joanesburgh tommorow on his own bike! He did the big "Superman" routine and apparently missed my rear guard by mm's. I was oblivious to all this as I kept everything moving forward as quick as I could (thank goodness). Miraculously Steve had a quick hunt around for his bike which had lost quite a few bits and pieces and went on to finish the race.

KB took out one of his classes in his usual no-nonsense way, Darren McMuffin was in (and won) every other race and is a force of nature. His Mugens aren't for show-and-shine (even though they're immaculate). He rides 'em like they're stolen. Brockers, Arno, Saliba, Webbo, DeRosa, Bert, Big K, maico stu, Chris Cormack, motomaniac and many, many more all give it everything.
Of course Kaw 440 cleaned up Viper Expert again. (I think I've given him a shake this year however.... ::))

There were quite a few photogaphers about the place so hopefully a lot of those pics can end up on here.
And sadly, today was the last race for my 414 for some time. Boy, did I cop some stick about that! Next year will be on the big white thing.  ;D

Lot's of interest from lots of guys wanting to get into Viper next year for the first time and everybody I spoke to said they'd be back next year.

Well done to Neale and the Ballarat Rovers.

Yes, Viper is well and truelly alive and well
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:26:36 am by All Things 414 »

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 08:51:11 pm »
Good on ya Rosco.. Monza is worth the drive.. flight... swim... ride or whatever it takes to get there. Spewin i couldn't make it this year due to surgery.( Labotomy :-\)   Bring on viper 2010
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline Scunge

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 09:02:34 pm »
Great day!!!!! Body is on fire now, must have been the ruts!

Fired up to get the 83 CR250 finished for next year, to give the king of bling, J. Ladson, a hurry up.

See you next year Viper.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 09:14:39 pm »
Whats with the yamaha symbol mate.. u take up keyboard lessons?
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 09:40:27 pm »
Yep the day turned out pretty damn good and I had a ball after being a tad discouraged after practise in the glue. Luckily though I had my testicle inflator and gave them a quick pump up and went on to face the track. The track only got better as the day went on and although it became a bit one lined due to the coditions, I think most got around at a fair clip. One thing which impressed me was the jumps. Big enough to keep the young guns interested while being not too technical,  safe & rideable for everyone. I certainly wouldn't class myself as jumper but found myself attacking the jumps with as much speed as my confidence would allow, which only got better as the day went on. The second of the two in a row tabletops was unreal, and even a fat old bald bloke like me could rip off some big air. Well done Monza. I actually gained a good dose of enthusiasm back after an ordinary year and am looking forward to VCM next week.
Cheers, K

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 10:03:25 pm »
Forget marking out a track on an oval and sticking some speed-humps on it or riding around some goat track.....

Phew Thank goodness!  Victoria is the best at everything again ;)

Viper666 I'm glad it worked out.
Cheers
Noel
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 10:49:27 pm »
Congats to the Ballarat Rovers for a top days racing well done ,Had a ball  8)

Force

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 08:25:00 am »
That was a great days riding!. Started off a bit ordinary in practice when I ended up in a couple of bog holes but soon figured out where the lines were. With exception of the first 4 the remaining corners were pretty much single line for the morning so it was very difficult to pass. By the afternoon after the tractor had been out a couple of lines opened up on several corners making the racing much more fun.

My biggest disappointment for the day was riding back to the pits after the last race knowing I couldn't go out again.
Well done Ballarat Rovers, thanks for a great day.

kaw440

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 02:30:55 pm »
Well guys the future of viper is running strong dont be concerned that the wheels are falling off we are far from that yesterday was well crap in practice but from then on it only got better and better i must thank neil for all the work he put in on the day and making the event go on ( NEIL DONT EVER MAKE THAT STATEMENT AGAIN ) From the weeks weather before was not looking good what a great year 6 rounds 2 up from years before great racing thanks to all that have helped raced and just came along to watch to support viper next year there will be more of the same.

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2009, 04:14:54 pm »
Glad you all enjoyed it and that bold statement would have come true if only a few more adventurers tried different lines earlier on or if we had more entries (Not whinging) it would have forced the guys out wider on some corners, thus more lines but heh, that's racing. I must thank all the people who volunteered especially a couple of Viper guys who flagged for us. It was great to see other club members help out other our club. I know I always do where I can because the better WE make the track/day the better it is for everone. Besides its in our interest. A thought might be that ahead of events ring the contact point to see if they need help. I do & have watered at various tracks where I camped over (Beer in one hand, hose in the other), done the 15 second board at Blue Rock this year, scutineered etc. Every little bit helps

Does anyone know how Steve Davis is? To my knowledge he was the only injury (Bad one) for the day. I'm sorry for Steve but glad he was the only one. Apart from the track taking so long to come good my other disappointment was that Macca was going to do the commentary for the day but didn't make it.

I was so tempted to ride yesterday but torn tendions in my left shoulder said no, besides I was the stewart for the day so technically I couldn't ride anyway. Tried to get my son to take my 125 out in the Juniors just so the mighty 666 could make an appearence but he said no. Ah well. Did I mention he cleared the step up on a 30 year old YZ125? Not bad eh? Goes to show Monza jumps aren't that bad after all.

Already been asked to run a round next year just need to fix the date.

Viper666
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:16:44 pm by Viper666 »
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 04:38:58 pm »
There you go Viper666 wearing those two hats looks like it paid off  ;)  ;D
Glad it all turned out with the 45 odd riders and some good feedback for next year ----bring it on   8)
Congratulations to all
  :)
Best is in the West !!

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 05:46:33 pm »
Cut these from general so I could remove the topic

Mick22
B-Grade

« Reply #1 on: 14-10-2009, 14:48:50 » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand your frustration, I've helped organise plenty of meetings over the years and have had similar dramas. Viper meetings generally get a good turn out, so if the numbers are going to be down for this weekend there are probably other factors involved I don't think its due to lack of interest. Maybe the GP or time of year but from my experience resheduled meetings always suffer for numbers.

I'm spewing I can't make it this weekend, but for me being a shift worker I have to take leave when the calender comes out to get the weekends off... if it changes  or gets rescheduled, I'm out. I know of at least 3 other guys in the same boat for this weekend. Its unfortunate but its just the way it is and its made worse by the fact that more people work weekends than ever before.

Report to moderator    Logged 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking fo a Honda RS600 Flat Tracker anyone with any leads please PM

viper42
Novice

« Reply #2 on: 14-10-2009, 21:57:18 » Quote 

Well said Neal.
It seems there a those who are in it for the troughies and those for the fun. So which one are you fellow vipers  come on put your hand up and get your entry in and make the last race for the season.

I have to get up early the next morning and fly for 14 hours (so what )

All Things 414
A-Grade

Because golf courses should be motocross tracks..

« Reply #3 on: 15-10-2009, 07:06:01 » Quote 

Actually Steve we don't want you souring relations with our South African friends so maybe you should give this round a miss and have a nice restfull day before you depart..... 

VF 414, VF 414, VR 250, H7 250, 2000 YZ 250 and now....................................YZ 465 H! Yay.

Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 05:54:09 pm »
Glad it all went well Viper666 - hard effort should always be rewarded.

Just to hark back onto the comments from earlier - people are looking at tracks and bikes and saying "get real" "get tough" "its motocross" etc. and wondering why some numbers at some times of the year are dropping.  I think (as dangerous as that is) that most of the people who comment on here (and they may be only say 10% of the VMX community) are younger fellas able to handle "modern" tracks.  Dont forget there are some old bodies out there with the older bikes that also wouldn't mind a ride and therefore some more "friendly" tracks (such as Narrogin over our way) would be appreciated.  And yes these sort of bodies should then think twice about going to the Nats and places like that where the "sheep station" riders will be in abundance  ;D.  Most of our tracks over here are pre 75 friendly - numbers hover around 50-60 per meet but announce a Wandering meet - classic motocross, natural terrain, friendly for all from fastest to me (slowest) and all of a sudden numbers are closer to 120!  There has to be a message in that also!  Just because I am not an Australian champion doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to get a ride?  Comes back to maybe pre and post 75 again (that maybe rider age now!!!).

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 09:48:51 pm »
Yes , a BIG thanks to neale and the rovers for a well organized race meeting again.  Like everyone else I am a bit sore and sorry the year has come to an end, may have only lasted one more round anyway. But it's been a great calender. I saw steve take his lunge and come off, how he got back up and kept riding I don't know,but his bike fired up after a few kicks! Had good close racing myself in evo 125 and pre 85 125/250. Slamed the 500D and the 125B into the face of the step up and lived to tell the tail. The new track layout was great and would be quick when the conditions are right. Looking forward to taking on scunge in the pre 85 126/250 next year.
Thanks to all involved.
Viper 620