Author Topic: use caution with this ebay sellers' spoke sets  (Read 1568 times)

DR

use caution with this ebay sellers' spoke sets
« on: September 27, 2009, 04:15:12 pm »
I recently purchased spoke sets for the front and rear of my bro's RL from the ebay seller vintage_001. The rear spoke set whilst containing 39 spokes was infact short a spoke due to 2 being unknown and too short and the other having no thread rolled. The plating was also substandard with unplated and pitted areas although the front set I received was actually correct and quite nice. I emailed the seller twice to inform him of the problem but no reply was ever forthcoming. I even stated I was not wanting a refund or a return but just wanted to inform them of the problem. I've had other friends buy spoke kits before from the same seller and it seems about a 50/50 hit/miss when it comes to being supplied the correct sets and the correct amount of useable spokes. I guess the bottom line is unless they are genuine you pay for what you get and I should have have known better ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 04:19:15 pm by Doc »

TT

Re: use caution with this ebay sellers' spoke sets
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 04:28:11 pm »
That's bad luck, Doc.  :(
I bought a set of rims and spokes for a CT90 from a guy in Thailand some time ago and they are great. I know of one other person who ordered from the same guy and the nipples didn't fit through the rims, but the seller sent him the right ones, didn't ask for the others back and gave him a refund.
So, I guess there are still good guys out there, it's just much more of a risk than buying locally.

You win some, you lose some............  :-\

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 04:38:49 pm »
Doc. I emailed ole mate and asked about quality of spokes Ts/Tm.  Reply  "Item made in Japan "

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:39:54 pm »
yeah they are getting DID to make them.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

DR

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:16:01 pm »
hmmm..Made in Japan is basically saying he wipes his hands from issues, I reckon these would be in the seconds bin IF they were DID. The front were correct and looked the goods but the rears wearn't so good and the worst of them I've replated myself. Maybe it was a friday arvo lot he shipped me but the non reply to emails got up my nose moreso than the initial problem..an' I have a big nose too! :D I'll buy genuine or Ashes spokes from now on unless there is absolutely no other option.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:18:06 pm by Doc »

Offline euro bikes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 07:10:22 pm »
Yeah I brought a CR,250 Husky 1972 bottom end but turned out to be a WR, when he  replied it was to tell me what he was going to do to my mother and so forth .  It had a CR sticker on it so it is a CR?      His name is BRAPPRACING . Jeff

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 01:48:44 pm »
Doc - good heads up.  I was considering some of these but was worried about the country of origin.  I see he offers a 30 day exchange - shame if you can't get him in that time though?

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:58:31 pm »
ordered 2 sets to suit rm 370 1 set turned up and the other set where all too long i just trimmed them them but wasnt expecting this and no reply on the 2nd set

DR

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 05:20:45 pm »
I think it's a little hit and miss Rossco but yes, the worst part was the lack of a reply when the item is/was clearly substandard. I waited until the night of the 45th day after actual payment and hit him with a truthful feedback. It was neutral because I did use the spokes but being the 45th day it didn't give him time to respond the next day as the feedback deadline ran out at midnight ;D childish games but something to remember if you wish to leave a neg feedback without getting one back in return ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:23:11 pm by Doc »

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 07:32:41 pm »
But they check every item before shipping  ::)  do they  ???

mainline

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 07:36:59 pm »
that's a shame, I've dealt with this guy (vintage 001) a while back and couldn't have been happier.

Maybe there's been civil unrest, tsunami, mudslides, earthquakes, or violent political upheaval in his neck of the woods, and he's been unable to focus on the really important stuff like our bloody spokes ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:32:53 am by mainline »