Author Topic: RACE PREP ADVICE FOR 390 hUSKY NEEDED  (Read 2806 times)

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
RACE PREP ADVICE FOR 390 hUSKY NEEDED
« on: June 20, 2009, 07:18:41 am »
 I finnished restoring  my 390  Husky over a year ago, it was poked, it had not been run for over 25 years. i had intended to leave it as my queen however I recently had my arse kicked in a pre 80 vintage race on my 1978 Honda cr 250 and I am thinking about racing this 390. It appears that the Husky 390 has a distinct advantage in our pre 80 class and I am a big guy over 105 kg and the extra 140 cc could greatly help. Any suggestions in terms of race set up? Any suggestions re carbs, pipes, reeds etc I need a more competitive bike before end of September 2009. Help

« Last Edit: Today at 07:14:56 AM by crabman »  

Old and slow - and happy

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: RACE PREP ADVICE FOR 390 hUSKY NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:48:48 pm »
???????????????????????????????????????????????
Old and slow - and happy

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:37:26 pm »
Race preparation for a Husky:

Lay husky on it's side

kneel next to it

Pray to Sarah lee or any other Skandanvian chef

put the bobbin in the right way!!

Set fire to husky and buy something that will work

Sorry but it seems to be the only thing that works in the west!!lol

barry
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Heikki360

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 06:42:52 pm »
Which year is the 390? Not sure what you mean by "more competitive", the 390 is not exactly down on power. A little more info please? Thanks.

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 04:28:11 am »
It is a 1978 WR Husky, all  suggestions and advice on  proper race prep will be greatly appreciated.
I have never ridden a Husky competitively  and I would like to short cut the unnecessary lssons learnt through perserverance.
Old and slow - and happy

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 03:11:35 am »
I too have a 78 390 WR..... for my sins ! It is very much an aquired taste. The handling is not like your usual Jap crossers. Mine still runs the std Husky fork yokes, which means it is not the fastest turning bike around. The only way I have found to get round a corner quick is to sit on the tank, turn, and when pointing in the right direction give it a handful. A set of billet yokes that reduce the angle would be better. Mine also suffers from an annoying top out "bang" when the forks extend. Not got around to looking at that yet.
I run the std Mikuni carb with the jetting as stated in the manual, however, I found it needed the next size up pilot jet to be just right.
Has yours still got the WR swingarm ? If so, this is shorter than the 78 CR arm. (I think it was from the 77 model) The shorter arm has the adjusters on the other side of the axle. The shorter arm is better for turning and enduro use, but makes it a little front end waving in the air for motocross.
Make sure the engine bolts are secure (they have a habit of coming loose) as this affects the earth for the Motoplat.
If you have the original brackets that hold the side number plates on...... look after them, as they are very hard to find.
If your engine is sweet, and your suspension is in good order and not too stiff, then you should have no problems. Just get out and practice on it to get used to the swedish handling !
Not much else to say really, other than the normal preparation bits we would all do before a meeting.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 08:52:19 pm »
Crabman,

I have an 81 CR430 and the KTM 250 pictured with my name. The KTM was a full rebuild and the Husky is a low hours unit.

Learnings so far of racing both.

Get a new carb and inlet manifolds (leaks, slop in slides, cracks etc)
Get someone who knows how to jet it at race conditions. (up the road and back didn't work)
Play around with the fork length in the clamps. Don't ever let some tell you 5mm more won't make a difference to the satisfaction level.
A PVL ingintion has made a huge difference to our `on loan' 83 XC 250. It is like lightening.
Check the Husky owners manual for your model and it will give you a rider training program. Fitter is faster they say.

All the best
Pete
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 09:01:30 pm by Husabergpete »
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline crabman

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:38:39 pm »
THANKS
I have been away from home on international business travel for a while. I appreciate your help.
Thanks
Gavin
Old and slow - and happy