Author Topic: Painting - what am i doing wrong ?  (Read 1776 times)

Kiwi

Painting - what am i doing wrong ?
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:25:23 pm »
Just started getting into bike restorations, doing my own painting. When i start to tighten up the nuts and bolts, the paint chips or splits. What am i doing wrong ? too much paint ? wrong type of paint ? especially on the motor and frame. On the motor i sand blasted parts right back, primer then engine paint, but the paint chips or splits. It's very frustrating, especially when i look at the paint job and think wow this is going to look good, and then that happens.

oldfart

Re: Painting - what am i doing wrong ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 08:37:14 pm »
Thin coats works for me ,( I use POR 15 on engine cases )  and a bit of vaso on the faces of screws  :)

Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 09:06:30 pm »
Yeh i'm starting to think, after googling my problem that it's too much paint. Oh well, learn by your mistakes i guess.

Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 09:13:56 pm »
Do the engine cases need to be primed ? are they supposed to be etched primed ? i just used a basic supa cheap primer. VHT engine paint any good ?
also if you use a VHT primer, should you stick to VHT for top coat ?

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 09:46:06 pm »
I just blast em, blow them off, prepsol them and then paint them with VHT GM Satin Black. Wait a couple of minutes, give them another coat, wait another couple of minutes, get the heat gun and give them a hot blow job (settle down you devietes) then walk away and leave them alone for a few hours (to relax after there blow job). You can also put them out in the sun (if you live in QLD).I also like to use car type wash n wax to look after them, stay away from acid based cleaners like CT10 ect and it will look good for years. Cheers John.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 12:20:59 am »
I agree - standard etch primer - maybe 2 coats for coverage then I like VHT Brake and Caliper Satin Black as it is same temp resistant as the engine paint but also chemcial and chip resistant - same again just enough for coverage and then leave to cure - haven't had the problem you mention except with a bad powdercoat job!

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:57:59 pm »
I do the same as Davey with an etch primer then VHT then I stick it in the oven like it says on the can. Around 100 degrees C for an hour or so then let it cool down overnight. Stinks the house out but.

Pete
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 04:38:25 pm »
I live in Western Australia - just leave it in the sun for a while and saves on the oven job!!!!   ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica