Author Topic: Scarey Numbers  (Read 1908 times)

mx250

Scarey Numbers
« on: August 28, 2009, 12:35:10 pm »
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I wonder what Australia's looks like ::) :-\

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Scarey Numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 05:13:47 pm »
I was getting dizzy just watching the numbers go by…
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:42:57 pm »
i'll bet "hand it out Kev" has got our meter going faster than the yanks the ladies thing couldnt help himself

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 08:16:42 pm »
Its a bit difficult to comprehend isn't it???
California State also has a meter ticking over in Sacremento outside Arnies office.
To compare with OZ .California has around 70 million people and are looking at 42 bill debt
OZ has about 22 million and we are looking at .... how much debt??It was alot more Cal.States the last news I heard.Its not good. ???

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 10:00:30 pm »
Meh.

Once you wade through the political nonsense, the reality is that most of it is a load of poopy.

Businesses large and small all have debt - and very few businesses ever hope to be debt-free. Borrowed money is a tool that is used to help the company grow and/or keep it ticking over.

Why is it so different for a government to do the same?
I find it laughable that in these globalised times, people such as The Silvertail really think that any country to remain debt free indefintely.

And besides, when you look at the debt as a percentage of GDP, its really tiny. Hell, our mortgage is something like 300% of our household income - and we've got a relatively small, managable mortgage... Again, I ask why the rules are so different for a government?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 09:53:47 am »
Whatever your houseloan is Nathan if you had a edraw facility with it and you kept using that or your wife and at the sametime your combined total income was going down you would soon be getting worried.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxmRGVOmYhU

You could have a garage sale to help out a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca3H9P5arN0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_PBkrc_Wa8&NR=1
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:57:38 am by motomaniac »

mx250

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 11:29:51 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxmRGVOmYhU

Ah shit no! Looks like more Boat People will be arrive on Bondi shortly.

I say arm our Patrol Boats with Exocets and fire at Will, and Bruce, and...... and especially those wearing Ug boots - they're deviants with strange sexual habits ;D.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:59:41 am »
"Australia has an enormous current account deficit and while government borrowing is relatively small our Australian banks borrow vast sums to fund our trading deficit. At the moment, with government guarantees available and China in a growth mode, there is an abundance of money available to fund our borrowing needs. But if anything ever goes wrong with the global capital markets then we are one of the more vulnerable countries. If money to fund our debt becomes scarce we would need to push up interest rates and require much larger local savings and reduced consumption."

I think Australia and New Zealand share more in common than we would like to admit ::) :-[.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 04:23:55 pm »
Who's not liking to admit? The more we bond together the better of  both countries will be.

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 07:41:01 pm »
 Note the Debit per citizen does not change     .....taxs are ticking over very nicely thank you very much 

mx250

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 03:26:12 pm »
This is quoted from a private weekly economic report. It's Australian but I think it reflect the American situation/ experience.

My first observation is 'if you can't beat them, join them' (buys shares in banking). My second observation is that we seem to be rushing back to the same economic model, leverage and greed is good.

"This has been a bewildering crisis, not that crises are ever entirely comprehensible. But this one was started by banks over-reaching and getting into trouble, so that the resulting credit squeeze caused a global recession.

But now, just five minutes later it seems, the banks and financial sector are the only parts of the business world that are unambiguously out of trouble. They are rampant once more; it’s as though the crisis never happened. It turns out, in fact, that the banking crisis has been wonderful for banks and investment banks. It is salad days for them, gambolling in the springtime with flowers in their hair.

In the United States investment bank assets increased 4 per cent between April and June: they’re getting free money, they are essentially guaranteed by the state and, so far, no regulation to trouble them apart from weak mutterings about their bonuses, which are about to require wheelbarrows once again..

In Australia the big banks, especially Westpac and CBA, are completely rampant. The big four’s share of new mortgages is virtually 100 per cent, they are operating in the total safety and cheap funding of Government deposit guarantees, and their customers are doing fine.

Those who predicted a hard time for banks, including your humble correspondent, missed two important things: the huge impact of cheap cash and Government guarantees on their funding costs, and the way in which they and their corporate customers have been able to recapitalize with equity.

I thought rising unemployment and corporate collapses would cause a big rise in credit impairments. Neither of these things has happened. Confidence has been preserved by colossal fiscal and monetary stimulus and, more importantly perhaps, companies that would have gone under this year, because of the closure of credit markets after the default of Lehman Brothers last September, have been able to tap equity markets for cash instead.

The capital raisings have been unprecedented. In many cases they happened because banks sent the companies off to their shareholders for money before they would talk to them about refinancing their loans, and the shareholders (institutions) obliged.

That’s because the big funds were getting new stock at a deep discount at the expense of small investors, reinforcing their relative performance and therefore their competitive position against self managed funds.

And who run the biggest fund managers? Er, banks. If one were a conspiracy theorist it wouldn’t be hard to see a giant conspiracy here.

First, banks lend too much and ruin the world economy (although, to be fair, the Australian ones didn't). Then Governments, in a panic, bail them out. They then demand that the corporate borrowers reduce their debts by raising equity capital from their own wealth management arms at huge discounts and dilute those who might have the temerity to manage their own money rather than pay outrageous fund management fees.

And this week, it seems to me, the rest of the market just gave up and went with it. In April, May and June Australian bank stocks performed roughly the same as the rest of the market, perhaps slightly better. But since July 13th they have gone up by a third, versus the all ordinaries’ rise of one quarter. They are putting real distance between themselves and the rest of the market."