Author Topic: HBBB program  (Read 6288 times)

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: HBBB program
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 07:59:44 pm »
If we only lived in a perfect world
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 08:51:03 pm »
Without the orange people it wouldn't have happened. Thanks again guys. Cheers Jerry

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 09:12:08 pm »
Hi all, as a marshall on the MX track I'm sure everyone will agree that they had heaps of track time, it was decided to allow the track to flow on both days, after people were not turning up on time for their sessions. I know and understand that in a perfect world riding with your own class would be the ideal situation but the guys on the gate made an executive decision to keep the 15min sessions but let everyone play together.Obviously the sidecars stayed with the program and even they struggled to get to their sessions ontime. As i said the fast guys will always get past and after watching the track for 8hrs over the 2 days the incidents and off's were very few and req'd bugger all assistance from the orange people & emt's which really showed the level of skill of you guys ( and believe me some of you where hooking in :)  ) I know the closing of the track every 15mins was annoying to the guys who we let out and only did 2 laps, but the method in our madness was if we had to switch back too the program we could. but everyone seemed happy to just keep looping. I have also read that the watering was overkill but we only watered twice on sat & once on Sunday, this was mainly to keep the dust down as the road track is just over the hill. Another critercism was about the shutting down all tracks at lunch time, unfortunately this year the orange people were a little short on numbers and had to work str8 thru the day with no relief, Next year if you have time and would like to volunteer and help keep this event alive pls contact Peter Drakeford he is only to happy to have you on board and if the numbers are good then the system of working for an hour & spending an hour riding in your favourite discipline or chatting to mates & networking could be a reality. This year the orange people pushed on so that you guys could keep riding and tho it was not perfect I saw more smiles than frowns and the stationary yellow was just a reminder that it was not a race day and to slow u down near the entry point. Well thats my say on the w/end I enjoyed my time on the MX track  ( even tho I am a Vinduro rider  ) thanks for behaving and not running me over although a couple of u tried lol. Cheers The Wombat ( Red Flag finish line )      

Thanks for the insight. :)

Just to be clear: I had no problem with the volunteers having lunch! I appreciate the time and effort that the volunteers put in, and they definitely deserve a break during the day (and OH&S probably demand it).
It just seemed odd that they ALL had lunch at the same time - what I was suggesting was that the MX guys could have had a break at a different time to the Vinduro guys, so that there would always be something happening somewhere in the complex. And also reduce the rush on the food providers...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Evil Rudy

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 12:11:50 am »
So if I'm reading the above schedule correctly... and let’s be clear I’m half way through a bottle of Russia’s finest vodka,  if I turned up with my pre 85 bike I would have been allowed two fifteen minute sessions each day.

Wow, even Heaven givens more than that (if I’d bother to turn up) over two days without the drive to Melbourne. Is this what happens when you are all things to all people?

Silver lining – more time to drink and BS I guess, both things I’m much better at than riding...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 07:25:42 am »
So if I'm reading the above schedule correctly... and let’s be clear I’m half way through a bottle of Russia’s finest vodka,  if I turned up with my pre 85 bike I would have been allowed two fifteen minute sessions each day.

You'd be correct if they'd followed the programme, which they didn't.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 08:59:14 am »
Now I would like to say I am not having a dig here…

…but it really must be Aussie VMX if throwing out your carefully planned programme results in a better event.

Sounds like a plan within a plan?   ::) Just brilliant! The rest of the world would never understand.

Only in Australia. Gotta love it!!!
VMX42
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:01:14 am by vmx42 »
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 09:57:22 am »
As I said earlier (in the other thread, I think), BBB seemed to be structured for the spectators more than the riders - particularly the MX - on the assumption that there would be heaps of both.
Basically, I think it was supposed to run a bit like a country show: At 10:00am, you can see the sheep being displayed, at 10:15am there will be sheep dog trials, and at 11:00am you can come and see the judging of the cattle... And over in the other arena, there's a flower display followed by the trophy presentation for the best jam.

By Sunday this was clearly not working as intended, and the marshals made some judgement calls that deviated from the programme (which were clearly for the benefit of the riders, even though I personally think that throwing the programme out would have been better for everyone). By that time, there were no spectators left - during Sunday's version of Legend Laps, I reckon there were about five times as many 'non-legend' riders waiting to be allowed back on the track, than spectators.

I guess that they'd tried to offer some point(s) of difference from Classic Dirt, but the size of the event does not allow them to work (yet?).

PB20

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 10:04:43 am »
Does Ron Kivovitch still twitch his head when under stress?

firko

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 11:09:22 am »
I totally agree with Nathans thoughts on HBBB. The event is a 'new kid on the block' compared to Classic Dirt and are still going through the suck it and see stage of its life. The event is run by a beurocratic organisation (MA) so you'd expect a bit of structure overkill built into the plan. The set riding time plan pretty soon became non functional when they realised that it wasn't needed. The dirt track was also chopped up into divisions but it wasn't long before the 'orange shirts' loosened the reins and pretty much left it a free run. 
I reckon that the more confident the organisers get that we can pretty much self regulate ourselves, there will be a much looser program. I enjoyed the HBBB because it wasn't a clone of the Classic Dirt concept. It's got a different vibe and overall intent, with dirt track, speedway and road racing sharing equal billing. I reckon there's plenty of room for both events, in fact I reckon they actually complement each other.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 04:23:02 pm »
Did anyone take a piccie of my rough old Honda 754 outfit they could post?  :) The  Pre75 sidecar is mostly black and yellow with a quaint airbrushed "Wasp" mural on the tank. My cameras SD card has come back from the "I will try to salvage the photos" man with a note basically stating it is totally knackered and have I dipped the camera in the piss of an Alpaca suffering from herpes... Cheers Tim754    Oh it was not on the race circuit.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.