Author Topic: Tank cap rubber seal  (Read 2202 times)

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
Tank cap rubber seal
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:23:52 pm »
Hi folks, I've got an old, cracked rubber seal for my Maico gas cap.  I tried a hardware store replacement, but it's now swollen to twice the size, not being fuel resistant.  Any ideas on where I can get a replacement, or if necessary a sheet of the right neoprene from which I can cut one out?
Mike

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Tank cap rubber seal
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:18:52 am »
For just the gasket-and to surely get a fuel resistant one-go buy a gas cap for an old VW bug( the same dealer may have a replacement gasket)-even the whole cap fits, though it doesn't look correct.
Better-costs some $-one of the "billet" caps for Maico, Husky, KTM etc seen on E-bay typically about $ 60-75 US.
Best-Mega $$$$$-get a threaded bung made for say YZ internal or Rm external threads. You can buy these NOS caps on e-bay almost any day for about $ 30 US, the cost of fabricating the threaded portion is the most-if in the US I would guess about $ 200.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

firko

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:30:29 am »
Yamaha DT1 and Husky caps fit as well so visiting one of those dealers may uncover a rubber to suit either of them. I've actually got the rubber from a DT1 cap on the Webco cap on my own Maico so it'll fit. The VW option works great. I've got a VW cap in my race spares box for the old Maico just in case someone steals my high zoot Webco cap. Trust no one. >:(

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 05:34:38 pm »
Thanks, people.  I didn't even think of automotive caps.  I have just checked the cap on my Ford econovan, and even it would fit with a little trimming.  Off to the wreckers, for the el cheapo solution, but if I pass a spare parts shop, I'll call in there.
Mike

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 07:55:27 pm »
I bought a new cap from weekend warriors on ebay.

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 06:22:26 pm »
Got one from a diesel landcruser for a couple of bucks, trimmed the inside to fit, Perfect!
Mike