Author Topic: Hard to get Honda parts  (Read 904 times)

Power Stand

Hard to get Honda parts
« on: September 02, 2009, 07:13:34 pm »
Guys I am finding that some parts for my CR500RG 1986 are no longer available. Looks like Mr Honda stops supporting models after a while.
I am chasing some new gears for the box, what do guys do that have Elsinore’s or other older models or is there an after market manufacture making parts.
I have posted for the gears in the wanted section :)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Hard to get Honda parts
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 07:17:12 pm »
Search Ebay and start buying up .I heard that the RE's have gearbox issue's but I didnt know about the later models????

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:21:14 pm »
I just had a quite look .You cab get some gears still -0 2nd is no go though.What do you need?

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:22:24 pm »
i managed to get a gearbox cluster for a CR500RF for about A$140  landed some time ago of ebay.

ebay is where you need to shop.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Power Stand

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:34:40 pm »
Thanks guys,  :) I have a set of second hand gears coming from US with condition described as good so I am feeling a bit nervous. I have sifted through the reminisce of formula 500 parts but that stuff is trashed hard and no luck.

I managed to get what was still available for some gears needed but the two I have posted in wanted section are outstanding.

Sad thing is, I have had the bike since new, raced for 5 years plus a lazy year making 6 in service. I did a lot of hair scrambles, desert racing, speedway flat track, MX etc. I believed I always used smooth gear changes, something of pride. Most of the damage was from coolant eating the magnesium water pump case away corroding the gears and sitting for way too long  :(

Some gears had scuffing on the dog edges and other suffered on hard facing worn as well.
I ran synthetic oil as best I could/ when available.

Did Honda make cheesy gears and in a CR500 or did I wear them out with fair use.  6 years I wouldn’t have thought so.

With vintage bike still being raced I am sure this wouldn’t be common, my old horse is 23 years old so nowhere near that age of most forum bikes.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:32:55 pm by Power Stand »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 12:30:48 am »
If you have the part numbers I can check with my Japanese connection.You would be surprised what's still available
Jesus only loves two strokes

Power Stand

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:58:07 am »
If you have the part numbers I can check with my Japanese connection.You would be surprised what's still available

Mate that would be appreciated.

Gears wanted 23431-ML3-000 2nd output & 23481-ML3-000 5th input