Author Topic: Can anyone recommend an electroplater on Brisbane Nthsd  (Read 1726 times)

DR

Can anyone recommend an electroplater on Brisbane Nthsd
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:46:55 am »
A good zinc plater I mean :D I've not a lot to do ( RL250 bits) but when I weigh up my time and the effort of doing it myself vs simply sending them to someone in the biz and handing over some $ the later idea wins everytime lately..must be getting lazy ;)

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone recommend an electroplater on Brisbane Nthsd
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:04:48 am »
I use Custom coating at Brendale, Do a great job.They also do powder coating.
21 leonard crs,
Brendale
Cheers Tony

DR

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:43:25 pm »
Thanks Tony, I've a crank and a few barrels to drop in at N'side M'cycle Centre on Leitch's Rd later this week and it's pretty much the same locality so that could work out really well ;)

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 07:29:49 pm »
Doc,
Myself and Ed have used Custom Coatings quite a few times over the last year or two, as DR500 said he does a pretty good job and offers good value for money. To get best value for money, get a bucket load of stuff you want plated rather than just a few pieces. He'll normally do a 10kg bucket in blue zinc for about $75 odd. Talk to Dodgee about him, he's had stuff done there in the past as well.
Tip. If you've got small items, wire them up so they don't get lost. You may also want to do a list of all items you drop off, sometimes things get mixed up with other orders and it's a good way of keeping track of your goods.
Peter

DR

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 08:29:11 pm »
Thanks Pete, I might be best to do as you say and get a decent amount done ;) I was going to wire up the bits and I was also going to have the old zinc/rust stripped and clean ready for plating. I figure the less they have to do the better chance of getting all the bits back ;)

now..can any recommend a good fastener supplier in the same area as I need a shitload of 6mm screws but I want them around 65mm in length with the thread cut all the way to the head, also need quite a few 8mm flanged nuts in bright zinc and not the gold finish that most seem to supply ;)

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:51:50 pm »
Doc   MCS  has most bolts you are after      www.mcsonline.com.au    catalogue      page 19

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:13:01 pm »
Let us know what you think of Custom Coatings Doc as I am looking for a new plating service in Brissie myself. 

I have used Pine Rivers Electroplating just up the road from Brendale in Lawton but was not impressed.  Not sure if it was the cleanliness of my parts however - as I just dropped them off uncleaned.  Your plan to clean them well yourself might be the way to go. 

The wait was also quite long also - 3 weeks when they said it would only be 2 weeks.

Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 03:56:02 pm »
The only cleaning i do, is degrease it. He acid dips it all.Nut and bolt place in Leitchs road up from bike shop.

STW996

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 04:57:06 pm »
No DR 500 do not even have to do that, take them in as is and he will strip and re-zinc. Doc, correct wire up and small parts like nipples and alike as they can get lost.

I have used (and use through my business) Ralph (Custom coatings) for years and always does a top job. both silver and gold zinc, did 2 off my 79 red devils a couple of years back and was 70 bucks including all springs, spokes, axles etc anything steel he will do.

The bolt place on Leitchs road is Brisbane Fasteners, good people but not so good on the bike stuff and most (not all but most) of their bolts and nuts are the gold zinc, I have taken to buying up bolts on the net when going cheap (ebay) and when I get a bucket full taken them to Ralph.

Shane
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:05:05 pm by STW996 »

DR

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 06:11:27 pm »
thanks for the imput everyone. After some consideration I've decided to resurect my plating tank, renew my electrolyte and replate the bits myself. I won't ever do full spoke sets again as it's far too time consuming to do at home and when spokes are only $100 for both front and rear brand new then this is the much better way to go. I'll drop in to Bris Fasteners and get me some gold bolts, nuts and washers then simply strip them and replate in silver and everything will be sweet ;)
Shane I always watch for the screws and stuff on fleabay but people pay insane amounts for these also. Have seen a pair of nos RM400 footpeg pins (8x35mm) sell for $35US+shipping on more than one occassion :D I won't play that game especially when they are available over the counter for $4 ;)