Author Topic: American visitors 92 update.  (Read 732 times)

firko

American visitors 92 update.
« on: August 31, 2009, 11:58:34 am »
Back in 1992 two Americans came to Australia to race at the Vintage Motocross Nats at Ravenswood. Marsh Runyon and Mike Middleton, both from Fresno, California . Mike won the pre 65 class on his beautiful 750cc A65 BSA powered Metisse and Marsh rode in pre 70 on his C&J framed 900cc Harley Davidson but was hindered in his racing by having left his "race leg" back in Sydney at his host, Edgar Phipps house. Marsh, it turned out had only one leg having lost his left one years earlier in a flat track accident. Not having his rigid race false leg, he was forced to race wiith his walking leg which prevented him standing on the pegs and therefore slowing the big guy quite a bit. It didn't seem to matter though as he still circulated Ravo at serious knots on the big Harley.
Marsh retired from motorcycle racing once he turned 70 and now races a GMC six cylinder powered Model A roadster at the Bonneville salt races. He chucked a rod in the new car last year but returned last week to break the world record for his class with a run of 155mph, not bad for a 72 year old in a vintage car. He reckons the car has 175mph in it once he
sorts the handling (apparently it gets a bit aerodynamically wobbly at speed).

Mike has recently resumed racing after some tough personal and health battles and is racing a trick framed Honda CR450f and his trusty old vintage Triumph in the Expert/vet class. He still occasionally throws a leg over the Metisse he brought to OZ. We've stayed good friends with both guys over the years and Marsh and wife Mary Janes donkey ranch in Fresno, the 'Crippled R Ranch' has been a great stopover for many Aussie vintage racers over the years.

Marsh, Mary Jane and Mikes friendships are great examples of the neat cameraderie that exists between Aussie and American vintage racers. The Model A roadster and Mikes bikes will be adorned in  Klub Kevlar stickers the next time they race.
Big Marsh and his wife Mary Jane and the roadster at Bonneville last week

Below: Mike Middleton at the Chowchilla short track vintage races last week.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:12:27 pm by firko »

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: American visitors 92 update.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 07:55:24 pm »
If i look hard enough i'm sure i can come up with some photos of them and their bikes from the 92 nats. i will check as soon as i get a day off.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)