Author Topic: 96 CR125 powervalve  (Read 5539 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
96 CR125 powervalve
« on: October 11, 2007, 08:55:33 pm »
Yeah I know, I'm pushing the boundaries with modern questions, but it's the old wisdom that I'm looking for.
I helped my stepson rebuild his 96 CR125 but the power valve isn't working properly. It all moves around in the barrel okay but doesn't appear to be attached to the centrifugal doovalackie.
Problem is he moved to Ipswich Qld before I could check it out for him.

Can anyone recommend any decent shops in this area for him to go to?

Also any clubs / tracks he could check out.?
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: 96 CR125 powervalve
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:36:44 pm »
Tivoli is a MX track very very close to Ipswich, i used to live just up the road at Mt Crosby in the early 70's
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 10:39:49 pm »
Moss Treet Slacks creek. the heaven for all things on two wheels  geoff ;)
 Is about 20 K east but its all there.

what suburb is he working in , perhaps ther is another shop closer . Is also a decent shop in Moorooka  in the west that has an Avid VMXer on staff.

Unsure of what the local IPPY shops are like

maicopunk

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 10:57:09 pm »
Hey Pokey, Do you know the name of the avid VMX'er at Moorooka?

The reason I ask is because I'm picking up a new bike, yes new, on Monday and it will be good to know who is who because I'll be using them for bits and pieces in the future.

Cheers, Tim

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 11:08:43 pm »
smarty
 Maicopunk. most of the brisbane guys know him well, damn nice guy and  pretty good rider

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 05:29:38 am »
Stanmore mx track is the easiest to get onto as its open every weekend unless its a club day weekend. You also have to hit black duck valley which is the other side of Gatton(no licence required,about seven tracks to choose from). There is a track at Ripley Rd at Ripley, not sure what their situation is but it is in the Ipswich area. The best mechanic in my opinion is Tony Boguart Cycle Tune. Great people,all bikes enthusiast.Give him a call and book it in as he is a busy man 32199777. He is worth the wait.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 03:08:13 pm »
Thanks guys.
He's actually in Ripley, but travels around a lot with work, not sure where.
Have passed the info on to him.

Geoff
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

maicopunk

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 10:22:09 pm »
Thanks Pokey,
As a recent migrant from the south it's good to be able to make contact with people with similar interests.  Picked up my new KTM from Moorooka today...   veeerry nice!

Cheers

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:01:19 pm »
Mate, if you bought a KTM from Team Moto at Moorooka, the best thing you can do BEFORE you ride it is go over EVERYTHING with a very critical eye.
Trust me, from experience. I don't know about right now but not so long ago all the new bikes were assembled by the backwards hat wearing bong smoking 16 year old FMX wanna be's for a flat fee. The quicker you assemble them, the more you make that day. Do I paint a pretty picture?
My 525 had 3 loose triple tree bolts, flat front tyre, leaking oil from sump plugs, air filter utterly dry and devoid of any oil, rear wheel not aligned correctly and a couple of bolts mounting the rear seat snapped off. Do it tonight and you can jam it up there bum tomorrow. If they remember you....
Having said that, Willem at spare parts is the real deal. Especially if you need older yamabanana parts in a hurry.
FBC

maicopunk

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 10:45:29 pm »
Thanks Fatboy,
I haven't found anything too nasty yet, apart from the dry air filter and the almost dry wheel bearings. I'll keep all that in mind as I Loctite everything.

Really looking forward to throwing a leg over it on the weekend.

Cheers, Tim

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 07:58:17 pm »
Gudday Tim,
Enjoy that Orange thing! I luvs me Kato's!! Waddya get? My favourite is the 300exc. I just sold mine this year as a token effort to appease she who must be obeyed as we build a new house. Once the house is built, look out!!!!
FBC

maicopunk

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 02:44:13 pm »
G'day FBC, It's a 2008 200 EXC and I took it out for it's maiden blat on Saturday afternoon....    fantastic!

I like the smaller capacity bikes and being a bit old fashioned (like most VMXers) figured a two stroke will be easier to live with than a 250F. Low down it feels like a grunty 125 then in the mid range it really gets going.  It's the first brand new bike I've owned and so-far it's great.

It's going to be interesting playing around with all those clickers and things.

Next time I take it out I'll do a back to back enduro comparison for a bit of fun - 1981 Maico GS250 vs 2008 KTM 200EXC

Cheers, Tim

Offline fatboycrash

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 05:31:53 pm »
Nice! I've had a blat on the 200exc and they are a SWEET thing. Speaking of enduro bike comparisons, I'd love to find an old Yamaha IT 200 in good enough condition to repair and see how that goes in the scrub. This Vinduro stuff sounds like a whole heap of giggles!
We should get our act together and go for a blat in the scrub one day!
FBC

maicopunk

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 09:33:10 pm »
Now we're getting really off topic, but a blat in the bush sounds like a great idea...  are there any other Brisbane based OzVMX'ers interested in a trail ride somewhere?