Author Topic: Running In An Engine  (Read 3227 times)

mx250

Re: Running In An Engine
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 10:54:50 am »
What's the purpose of a 'run in' on a two stroke? To me it's just a check that every thing is as it should be - tolerances, timing etc.

One heat cycle - careful start up, pick up more and more revs, listening and feeling for any 'locking', fully warm it by progressively putting it more and more under load (more revs, more acceleration). One successful heat cycle - about 10-15minutes - and then go for it.

If it is quality parts put together right it will be right - it's a two stroke - beauty in it simplicity.

Plug chops and tuning after that as per usual for the usual reasons.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 11:07:52 am »
Usually do 3 X 5min bursts waiting untill your hand can touch the cylinder without burning yourself in between.Each 5mins riding round gradually increasing rpm untill you go for the doctor on the the third go.Heat cycling it's called as you want to gradually bring the piston up to it's peak operating temp gradually the first time.
As with a few of the above stories the common element is NEVER keep a constant throttle.Flogging it from the get go is OK in an old air cooled engine but in a water cooled nikasil cylinder you will cold seize within a minute if you do not warm up correctly.  

DITTO

Is a sight lap under yellow flag and who is testing the speed   ???  ???
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 12:01:16 pm »
bulge it. :)
I like that term. Bulge it Can I use it?  :)

I prefer teh term bludge it.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 12:53:28 pm »

Can a bike be run in on the stand.
Does the engine need varying loads.
Ji

Heat cycling, just get it hot a couple of times on the stand and let it cool down between, all running in is doing is bedding the rings and knocking the high spots off the piston as metal things expand at odd speeds.

Ever wondered why rental cars run so well, they get a good flopgging from day one.... or they do if I am driving  ;D

formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 01:20:58 pm »
I've never run a two stroke engine in...ever. One or two cruise laps to make sure it's been put together properly and then hammer the bejesus out of the forking thing. 8)
I've only ever had two sieze ups in 40 years of owning, riding and racing two strokes and they all perform pretty damn well if I don't say so myself. ;)

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 09:31:45 pm »
assemble the top end dry
then kick over on kickstart
quickly about 30 times (with tounge out Lh side) :P
run in ;)
follow me to first turn

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 12:55:23 am »
team kawasaki drop the oil out of there 4t multi's and fill her up with deisel with a hour city riding for there run in on prodie racers and the advice from the guys was if the motor was going to be fired up that day you assembled it using crc on the piston/ring lands and bore to stop carbon from forming in the ring lands and to help bed in the rings,ive used this method for years with no drammars