Author Topic: Pre-65 YDS VMX project.  (Read 8309 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-65 YDS VMX project.
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 11:20:13 am »
You're forgetting the magic words: Lazy +Tight Arse.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 12:20:35 pm »
Slow progress, but progress.

Despite heavy surface corrosion, I've reclaimed the ignition/front sprocket cover.
As per usual, I didn't bother taking 'before' photos, but here's a pic of the clutch cover to give you an idea.

They're die-cast aluminium, chromed from the factory. Over the years, moisture gets under the chrome, corroding the alloy underneath. On the bright side, this makes it easy to remove the chrome - just hit it with the bead blaster and most of it leaps off.

This is what the alloy looks like underneath (this is the auto-lube cover):

The remaining chrome is a bit more difficult though - hand filing takes too long, the wire-wheel is ineffective. I ended up using a very slow, very careful application of the linisher, and then hand filing/sanding.

Then I went over the whole thing with a fine hand file, removing the corrosion pitting. It wasn't so hard to remove the pitting, but the killer is that the file picks up bits of swarf and then they gouge a new scratch into the metal...  >:( I've minimised the gouges, but it still needs a lot more work with the wet-and-dry paper. But I was getting impatient, so I gave it a quick hit with the buffing wheel, and that pleased me a lot:

There's about seven or eight hours work in the ignition cover alone, to this point.  :o ::) It really needs another couple of hours being cleaned up with wet and dry, and then probably another hour polisihing it properly....
The worst bit is that the clutch cover is next, and its far more complex than the ignition cover... :'(

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:22:27 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 12:24:01 pm »
Have you taken those measurements yet Nathan?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 12:26:10 pm »
Not to my satisfaction - I've got the engine spread between the garage, work and the boot of my car, so I'm not trusting the rough measurments I've taken so far. Hope to fix this situation tomorrow.

But my gut feeling is that it won't fit.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 01:19:07 pm »
Filing ali is no drama's..........provided you use the correct file. Most cutting tools for ali are single cut only not a double cut which just clog up.
A stepped crank pin might work alright there to.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 04:27:06 pm »
Nathan, try this web site, might help you.
ydsparts.com
it's a British site, with a fair selection of parts for the 250-305-350 twins.  It also has in it's Tech section, a stripdown manual for the YDS3/YM1 which can be printed out.
I was a proud owner of a brand new YM1 back in the old days.  Definately lots more torque than the YDS3.  I bought mine when they were first released in Australia, though that was in 1965, I don't think they were here before then.  The induction howl had to be heard to be believed!!

Cheers, Mike

mx250

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 08:36:46 pm »
"40BHP" is stretching the imagination some what ::).

firko

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 10:02:32 am »
Here ya go Nathan.........http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi
FOR SALE
Ad # 3139837 July 26, 2009

NOTICE COLLECTORS:Yamaha YMI 305cc-twin 2 stroke-air cooled. Has been stored in Basement
20 years. Excellent Condition - comes with extra gas tank and misc
other parts. Photos on request. $1000
     Gene Hruska
Manassas, Va

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff