Author Topic: cracked rear hub  (Read 1357 times)

Offline hampster

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
cracked rear hub
« on: June 27, 2009, 01:27:05 pm »
Hi,

Having a closer inspection prior to rebuild and have noticed that the rear hub has two cracks running from the spoke holes out, is this a problem and can it be fixed?

Thanks Chris.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: cracked rear hub
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:50:25 am »
It's a big problem.  Once you start seeing one or two cracks, more will appear.

Two things; yes, they can be fixed, but you'll need to find someone who is really good at welding magnesium (and it's not just a matter of 'the right rods').

The second point is that this can be prevented, you just need the correct spokes.  Charlie Richardson in the US sells Buchanan spokes for CZs with a specific taper in them, that lets the wheel flex a little.  Solved the problem for us.  You can get in touch with him at www.crhighperformance.com.

firko

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 01:29:03 pm »
Sadly Hampster, your hub is rooted. You could weld it but would you ever trust it again? I certainly wouldn't. Unfortunately, unless magnesium has been well looked after from new it ages poorly and actually rots away, sort of like wood. Moisture and the elements are not magnesiums friends! I witnessed Roy East nearly kill himself at a Nepean vintage dirt track during the early 90's. When he grabbed a handfull of front brake for the first turn from the start, the magnesium hub on his Metisse shattered like a broken plate bringing the old champ down at speed where he was then cleaned up by those following. Very, very ugly.

Another mate was tightening the spokes on his CZ a few years ago and on the last tighten of the spoke the whole hub flange broke away with a really loud bang. It scared the shit out of him but not as much as if it would have happened on the track!

I got a magnesium OW Yamaha front hub with my Boyd and Stellings Suzuki and even though I wanted the bike to be as trick as possible, I couldn't bring myself to use that hub. I fitted an aluminium version from a YZ 125X and now have no worries about it exploding while one of my 'hired guns' are racing the bike.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:36:01 pm »
You can get it Xray' ed ...... that hand made 500 special that  Tony Cavell was riding at tassie NAts, i know the owner xray's that bike all the time to check for hairlines coming in the trick materials.

Tony would be able to tell you where to get it done, least you know how rooted it is.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff