Author Topic: WET ABRASIVE BLASTING IN SYDNEY  (Read 1562 times)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
WET ABRASIVE BLASTING IN SYDNEY
« on: July 09, 2009, 01:41:52 pm »
OK Gents (and Ladies of course)

A while back I whetted the appetites of some of you with the mention of me waiting for a wet abrasive blaster to be manufactured and be transported from Qld.

With a fair bit of water under the bridge I am happy to announce the imminent start of a new blasting service based in the North West of Sydney with no small cost to the management (that's me!) After spending what seems to have been a fortune I am one, or maybe two weeks away from getting started (machines are all wired in and airlines are the final 'obstacle' - hopefully being dealt with by the weekend?)

From the response I've had I figure I'll be a busy boy and look forward to helping get more bikes out there looking sharp with a process that seems to have eluded most in NSW unless they send their stuff interstate or spend a ridiculous amount of money (from some of the quotes I had while sussing things out you can do that EASILY - even interstate!).

For those who aren't familiar with wet abrasive blasting, it is a process that is far superior to dry blasting techniques for a number of reasons and is also known as water blasting and vapour blasting.

Here's are a few good things about the process;

* Far superior finish to conventional glass bead blasting - a VERY long lasting finish very similar to the original cast look.

* No impregnation of the job - it is a much more gentle process as the water cushions the blasting media and prevents penetration.

* Minimal residue. While I recommend blocking critical galleries and threads residue build up is all but eliminated in wet blasting and what  remains can easily be removed. Convention blasting allows media to 'pack' and fill holes causing all sorts of issues. With a long background in machining and bike work I won't let anything bad happen to your stuff no matter what blasting method you chose - should galleries, threads etc need attention they WILL get it unlike some others who leave the owner or their mechanic to sort out the mess - please trust me when I say I DO know what I am doing, lol!

* Special low foaming detergents prevent staining.

* Finished surfaces, particularly on alloy are far more resilient to contamination. most oily marks etc wipe right off

* No caustic or other harmful chemicals are used - all it is is blasting media, detergent and water.

* Dimensions are maintained and joint surfaces are not damaged in any way.

* No dust is produced meaning the operator (me) lives a little longer - I hope I have that part right?

* It totally cleans with little if any remaining oxide residue unlike soda blasting (Sodium Bicarbonate in saturated solution) - nor does it cause 'whitening' due to caustic residue after the cases are exposed to water. Although I do recommend protecting ANY alloy if it has been washed and is going to sit around.

* There is nothing bad or dangerous about the process - that is why it is the most advanced and accepted abrasive blasting technique worldwide. it can be used on virtually any metal and I aim to experiment on other things as well, including industrial applications eg mould / die finishing and refurbishment.

Unlike the few others that do the wet blasting I am supplementing the service with a large capacity dry cabinet big enough to take most frames etc. By Having both machines everything is in house and so not only can alloy components be given world class finishes but steel components can be prepared for painting by conventional fine grit blasting. Additionally I will have the advantage of being able to dry bead blast severely contaminated or oxidised components prior to the water processes drastically cutting cabinet time which saves you money (this option would be discussed prior to going ahead of course)

I'm not going to have a website or anything up for a while as I want to get the machine sorted but will keep everyone on the forum posted along with other clubs that are into doing up old bikes and cars, etc. Once I get established I hope to get something on the web and who knows Graeme, I might even be able to earn enough to pay for a sponsors spot eh, lol?

The dimensions of the cabinet is 110cm x 107cm x 80cm so I can blast virtually any bike components and I am proud to say it is an Australian made product from sunny Queensland.

My aim is to provide a reliable and honest service at a fair price. Postal and courier services will be possible to save on fuel costs or if you are too far away.

As soon as I have done the final 'bug sorting' I'll let you know.

Dave Mac  :D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

TooFastTim

Re: WET ABRASIVE BLASTING IN SYDNEY
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 03:59:41 pm »
Might have an IR 8 bar, 40 cu foot per minute compressor going cheap. Seems some wally underspec'ced the flow rate by 50% and overspec'ced the pressure by 25!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: WET ABRASIVE BLASTING IN SYDNEY
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 04:43:42 pm »
can you post photos of samples of your work?
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022