Author Topic: insurance for running a race meating  (Read 1345 times)

TREV53

insurance for running a race meating
« on: July 17, 2009, 08:58:25 pm »
Thanks fellers a few things .I am in heaven and we have been talking. It will be a couple of times a year max. As i have just came back from a cancelled race meet today. The track was to un safe to race not able to drain of last weeks rain.There just seems to be no tracks in nsw for vmx properly prepared  I will ring ma this week talk to them.
mark i can tick a few boxes
  * church  - thares is no church at putty

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:44:31 pm by TREV53 »

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: insurance for running a race meating
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:27:03 pm »
I NO PHILL LOVEVETT HAD A THUMPER NATS RACE MEET AT HIS PLACE IN NSW 5 MINS FROM WHERE I LIVE , 15 YEARS AGO AND IT WAS AROUND $5000,00 DOLLARS  INSURANCE , :IT WAS A ONE OFF FOR HIM ,BUT THINGS MAY HAVE CHANGED NOW IN PRICES ???MAY HAVE BEEN MORE FOR THE THUMPER NATS MAY BE

Mark Austin

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 09:55:19 pm »
Hi Trev,

I've not checked it out to get motorcycle racing insurance directly for a one off meeting, but I can give you the process we went through some time ago to license a track for MX a few years ago - through MA.

The reason it goes through MA / MNSW is that they have insurance policies that cover motorcycle racing.

1. Talk to a MNSW club that would be interested in using the land as a track.
2. Talk to you local council about getting a DA - or approval to hold a race meeting.
3. Get approval from the Department of Sport and Recreation (NSW Govt)
4. Get approval for the track from MNSW
5. Get a permit for the event
6. Go racing...

Its a long involved process that is mainly due to government regulation and public liability. There is also the propensity for people to blame/sue someone else for screwing up or doing something they know very well may be dangerous...

If you'd like to have a chat about licensing you land for racing, send me a PM and we can have a chat about it.

Cheers,
Mark

shoey

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:15:25 am »
It works exactlyy as Mark has explained , and you can make the process much easier by enlisting the help of a Motorcycle club.

Infact you do need a club to complete the process.

firko

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 10:27:41 am »
Auscobul has it pretty right but to be fair, it's often far more complicated than just following Marks list. More often than not it's easier to flush a Rottweiller down the toilet than to get the local council approval to run a race meet. When your approval is accepted by the local council it is usually tabled at a council meeting to allow local businesses and residents to voice any objections. More times than not some local "do gooder" will offer up some bizarre reason for the event not to go ahead, usually citing bogus enviromental or noise concerns. For Lyndon Heffernan to get permission to hold the Picton Thumpernats round he had to get approval from the following.......
*The landowner
*Department of Sport and Recreation
*Department of Land and Enviroment
*MNSW
*MA
*Wollindilly Council.
*The local church diocese
The council then tabled the application for consideration and objection was recieved from the local churches, complaining that the sound of the bikes could be heard during their services, thereby distracting the parishiners from their worship. After some serious lobbying, Heffo was finally allowed to proceed with the Thumpernats event but no bikes were allowed to be started until the final church service had ended. This was only one of the many, many obstacles that were thrown at Heffo and his group of dedicated helpers but in the end perserverance won out and the Picton Thumper round went on to become one of the best rounds for a number of years until the series eventually faded from the scene.

It's even more of a tribute to Heffos dedication and resilience when it's realised that he had to go through the very same process every year he held the event.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:30:00 am by firko »

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 10:34:32 am »
And then after all that work, in the first race meeting he had a huge get off on the back straight and was carted off by the ambo's :-\

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 10:54:58 am »
There is a light at the end of the tunnel though.  ;D
If you have people already in the know that you are working with in the organization of an event and if you can get it out far enough away from the metro area ,that you don't have to have council approval..
It can be easy if you take it on with the right attitude..  ;)   :P   8)
best wishes for your plans
cheers
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:57:53 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 10:56:34 am »

And then after all that work, in the first race meeting he had a huge get off on the back straight and was carted off by the ambo's
He did too the poor bugger, I'd forgotten that ;). It was ironic that he had done more laps on the track than anybody but he became its first victim. ;D

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 06:27:04 pm »
Thats why we live in gods land in the shang re la of the south pacific. Strike a deal for a bottle of Rum with the farmer and go skid on grass tracks all day its just so simple.But then we are Kiwis.
Club or individual  can get Millions $ third party Insurance for Naf all over here.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 10:00:31 pm »
I was always under the impression that if it was an MA meeting that the landowner was covered by MA, maybe its a Vic. thing. Thats why its best to do it in conjunction with a club
How much bullshit you go through no doubt also depends on what type of meeting your running & how close to civilisation you are.
I don't think DVMCC has gone through any of that drama to run a club day & they seem to come up with new propeties now & again.
I know I didn't ask anybody when I had a club day at my place a few years back, club just got a ride day permit & away we went.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/