Author Topic: Who is this kid on a minibike  (Read 4002 times)

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Who is this kid on a minibike
« on: October 25, 2007, 12:57:04 pm »
Here's a photo taken out of a book titled "All about minibikes" published in the early 70's. The photo is taken at the old Kingsgrove brickpits where the Illawarra Minibike club ran its meetings on most Sundays. That was a great place, close to home, some great hillclimbs (black mountain) and it seemed like every kid in the neighborhood had a minibike and rode there. I believed for many many years that the kid doin the inside pass was Stephen Gall. Anyone with a long memory who rode there or who knows Gally confirm this? 

[attachment deleted by admin]

yzinger

Re: Who is this kid on a minibike
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 04:12:35 pm »
Don't know the riders but are the bikes KV75's? They don't look like Z50's anyway. OT but does anyone remember the show "Secret Valley" from the 80's and all the mini bike mayhem  :D

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 06:01:23 pm »
Kawasaki MT-1's about 1973. The club was full of them as well as Decksons, Z50's a couple of Dax's and a few SL 70's. By 1974 the mighty XR 75 had arrived and was the bike to have. A few loses bought Yamaha MX 80's and Indians, but if you were cool you had an XR with the stock muffler cut off and a J&R silencer welded in place. Loved that sound........still do.   

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 06:27:51 pm »
Don't know the riders but are the bikes KV75's? They don't look like Z50's anyway. OT but does anyone remember the show "Secret Valley" from the 80's and all the mini bike mayhem  :D

That rotten WW  and Spider McGuirk (sp?) still give me sleepless nights!
I was always bouyed by the bikes (Z50s, yes?) in the opening credits, but always disappointed when there was bugger-all of the bikes in the show.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Stewart Allen

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 09:39:26 pm »
Yes the old Kingsgrove brickpits, going there was great. When I started going there were 2 gun riders one S Gall & Lance Turnley, from my vague memory Lance used to year a St George Jersey.
CHEERS STEWART

Doing it to old things is fun
# 74 Heaven
IT490 Will be going one day soon
CR125M
SL175 bitza
IT250D needs work
CR250RE Not going as yet
YZ125F

yzinger

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 08:58:46 am »
That rotten WW  and Spider McGuirk (sp?) still give me sleepless nights!
I was always bouyed by the bikes (Z50s, yes?) in the opening credits, but always disappointed when there was bugger-all of the bikes in the show.
Yeah the intro was a bit of a tease (spot the KZ75s/MT1's, Z50's, and XR75)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tecqb9pb0ss
but there was one episode where the kids competed in a race on the minibikes which went for the whole episode, but ofcourse Spider McGlurk was up to his usual tricks trying to sabotage the race hahaha

Those KV75/MT1's go alright, very easy to get the front wheel up, unlike stock Z50's...

would love to see more minibike pics from that era..... post em up!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 09:26:50 am by yzinger »

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 10:17:12 pm »
Here's a photo taken out of a book titled "All about minibikes" published in the early 70's.
ohmygod! I had that book. THANK YOU for that. A mass of memories just leapt out.

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 01:12:28 pm »
I tracked down Lance Turnley and he confirmed that it is in fact Gally wearing the St George jersey. It was Lance coming into the turn at the back and he was about to crash. So there you go, Gally also rode a Kawasaki. If anyone has memories of the old brickpits or better still has some photos, post em up. I'd also love to see a photo of that double decker bus that used to turn up at Menai chock full of XR75's for hire.