Author Topic: Bit of advise please on setup  (Read 3295 times)

carbyman

Bit of advise please on setup
« on: July 30, 2009, 08:55:21 pm »
I am about to rebuild my other KX250C1 and was going to lower it put 19inch rims on it this way i will have a motor x and a short circuit bike
any suggestions on what type and brand of tyres to use when i was younger we use to use a S pattern type tyre on the front and a trials on the rear
and is there anyone who could make or knows who makes a under-swung exhaust for this bike

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Bit of advise please on setup
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:11:28 pm »
Hi Carbyman leave the 21 inch on the front put on a Kenda Carlsbad sticky ( dual compound hard one way intermediate when fitted in the opposite direction ) or a Bridgestone 201 & lace up a 18 inch rear with a Michellin 18 inch XII ( 19 inch are old school & dont work). Geoff Morris from Broadford can make you a superb chamber his business is GMC Concepts nice fellow & a true tradesman get his number out of VMX mag or I think he has an add on this website. Good luck .

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:29:50 pm »
Grasy what surface are you using the hard on and the into ? or are you just using it in the one direction?

OK......... cut to the chase which way were you and Pete running them at Canberra ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 04:24:11 pm »
Geez Freakshow thats like asking me Mum for her famous scone recipe  ;D Intermediate seemed the best at Canberra .

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 05:01:27 pm »
Ahhhh huh  ;)

ooo and how long in the oven ?  :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 05:08:32 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 04:39:39 pm »
Hi Carby, Use 201 bridgestone on front and Vee Rubber Trials 18'' on rear.Last time I rode against Grasy I used em and was definatly faster until he passed me.I still recon if we were a bit younger(ie still had balls) we could use the 19'' rear with speedway tyre.Untill mine grow back the 18'' soft-cock option will have to do.Good Luck.

Curly3

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 05:47:32 pm »
Gee 52 I don't know about the lack testicular fortitude, you guy's seemed to be going at each other pretty hard from where I was standing.

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 09:26:11 pm »
Hi Curly all I can do is ;D Stiil get those headaches Pete ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:29:01 pm by grasy »

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:17:19 pm »
Hey 52 is the bridgestone for the front a really soft compound?
OLDYZMAN
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 12:33:26 am »
the speedways suck on the 19" they seem to be too hard on the rear, well at least on our tracks they are, not enough HP maybe to drive them up, the 2ee seem to be faster on the trials FWIW.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 06:43:33 am »
can someone talk about using 19" front wheels ,
good, bad, or ugly?
I just love the look ;D
Noel

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 01:15:31 pm »
oldyzman, oddly enough the 201 bridgestone isn't soft (using the twist da knob method) but seems to work,the kenda calsbad sticky is no longer available and the washyagble sticky thing don't seem quite as good.Noel, Dave and I have been through the 19'' front tyre stuff, even got a flat track tyre from US and they do look cool but don't seem to work as well as 21s.They r fairly controlable, tend to ''push'' a bit.What's FWIW & 2ee mean Freaky?

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 01:47:35 pm »
By using 21" front wheels i take it you would have to drop the forks through the clamps a bit on a bike that comes stock with 19" front? All that taken into account wouldn't 19's be more fun?
And why don't we use steel shoe's, sure some tracks have a right hander but these are usually kidney shaped and that right is tighter and slower than the lefts.
I am just a bigginner so please go easy on me, but i couldn't help but notice at Double the Dirt (run as turn left then left again) the way even the quick guys were hitting the ankers at the end of the straight as opposed to backing it in. Don't get me wrong i am shitting myself at the propect just thinking about it but that's why i wanna do it.

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 03:59:48 pm »
riding a xs 650 with a 19 front seen to what to tuck under into the corner.it doesn`t give you much confidence.riding one with a 21 makes a lot of difference but that could just be all in the mind.i think it`s all to do with your steering head angle,offset and trail.
is bigger better?

Curly3

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 05:14:26 pm »
My recollection of using 19" fronts was that they were great on the old oiled and hard packed tracks but a bit unpredictable on looser surfaces. One thing they did achieve in the drum front era was improve braking performance.