Author Topic: It's Baaaaack.  (Read 1981 times)

mx250

It's Baaaaack.
« on: June 22, 2009, 12:52:28 pm »
The Castrol Six Hour Proddy race.

http://www.the6hour.com.au/index.html

Well not quite (its hard to believe that Castrol didn't jump at the naming rights :P). It would be funny if the last Oran Park race :'( sparked a whole new interest in Proddy Racing ::). Looking at the features it has the potential 8).

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: It's Baaaaack.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 01:43:05 pm »
woo hoo, 6 hours now you are talking, real men on real bikes, remember Phillis and Wayne and the various Zs and CB1100Rs.

Suzuka 8 hours is still huge in Japan it has more status than the MotoGP.

Now if they would stop shagging about and give us Bathhurst back without the cops and off track shananigans.

formerly Marc.com

TooFastTim

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:15:16 pm »
ow if they would stop shagging about and give us Bathhurst back without the cops and off track shananigans.

As an Oz newb and somebody who watched the Bathhurst when he could, are bikes on that track a good idea? Strikes me as being as dangerous as THE Island. OK for cars but bikes?

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 04:25:15 pm »
ow if they would stop shagging about and give us Bathhurst back without the cops and off track shananigans.

As an Oz newb and somebody who watched the Bathhurst when he could, are bikes on that track a good idea? Strikes me as being as dangerous as THE Island. OK for cars but bikes?

Bathhurst would be wicked to see again, but I think some sidecar guys died last time out, 6 hours anywhere they can get enough spectators would certainly be a good start.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

mx250

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:29:54 pm »
I can't quote the stats now but back in the 70's there had been more car drivers then riders killed at Bathurst. And about three times the number of riders raced Bathurst compared to cars.

mainline

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 05:33:22 pm »
poor bloody Greg Hansford died in a Mondeo in 2 litre Touring cars.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:58:26 pm »
Awesome, I remember how sweet it was when the Dowson/Magee RZ500 crushed those pesky GPZ 900's and VF1000's. ;D The stories of the chicaneary and outright mangling of the rules, was a story in itself. A good one was officials got wind the the top teams were freezing fuel tanks overnight, consequently the starter for no apparent reason, held up the grid, most of the front runners had fuel pi$$ing out of every overflow pipe there was, big puddles of fuel underneath bikes, all added to the drama. Just need Wil Hagon and John Smailes to the ABC comentary...................
Jesus only loves two strokes

TooFastTim

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:17:23 pm »
Similar stories of factory sponsored shannigans in Saffie bike racing. The capacity limit for the 350 class was suddenly raised, without explanation, to 410cc when the 400 four Honda was released. It, of course displaced 408cc. Then the watercooled RD350 was banned. Again no reason given.

Yeah, poor Greg Hansford. Got suffed around by a (present) Brisbane resident then killed in a car accident. Life ain't fair.

mx250

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 06:57:48 pm »
Here's a good read.

http://www.ozebook.com/compendium/suzi/eastmure.htm

"One of the scrutineers later earnestly told me he had conducted tests on a 315 and had found that the horn interfered with cooling air and caused a noticeable drop in power."

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 07:15:06 pm »
Remember Doctor Roger got killed in a Subaru not on a McIntosh

Anyway they could make the 6 hour cool by making it true proddy racing, the local Honda shop has a new HRC colored CBR1000 in its window, makes me misty eyed for the CB1100R every time I see it.

formerly Marc.com

colmoody

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 08:41:12 pm »
Joe's recollections of that six hour race were a great read and as one who was there on the day it was indeed a great race. As were all the Amaroo Park Six Hour's. Was the birth/halcyon days of proddy racing in Australia which came to gain international recognition.

As to Joe's recollection of the reason/s for his exclusion from the race results he may or may not be right but before anyone forms an opinion one way or the other I would suggest they get both sides of the story.

mx250

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 10:01:45 pm »
As to Joe's recollection of the reason/s for his exclusion from the race results he may or may not be right but before anyone forms an opinion one way or the other I would suggest they get both sides of the story.

I've heard the other side from one of the scrutineers of the day. His quote was "how they got it to run with standard exhaust I have no idea." ;D Undoubtedly there are people who know the answer but I ain't one of them :-[.

The other quote was "no horn? It didn't have any wiring. It was running a Krober ignition!!"

I was a Willoughby Club member back in the day and there was soooo many rumours going around in the club I have no idea. I think the technical name is disinformation - coming from every side.

Joe's story has the ring of truth to it though. He did a very similar race time the next year when they tightened up the scrutineering by doing pre-race rather than post race scrutineering.