Author Topic: Shipping from Canada ?  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Shipping from Canada ?
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:04:21 am »
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience in shipping bikes from Ontario, Canada?  I have a couple of bikes that I would liked shipped over but am not sure where to start.  Would it be better to transport them to the US for shipping ?  I know US Customs are a bit wierd about titles etc.  Can anyone recommend a shipping company that they have used before?  Would I need to get them crated?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
steve

Offline czeck

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping from Canada ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:21:45 am »
HELLO
get on line and find DOTARS, it will explain to you what you need to do in order to import the vehicle
read it several times as its a goverment agency and they are hard to deal with.

any airline will ship complete bikes, just call around and chek with them re air freight, and they do not have to be crated.

once they get here you have to clear them through customs and agriculture, (lots of fun)

you can always pay a forwarding agent to do it all for you

rgds
Carl

firko

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 12:21:38 pm »
It's not as difficult as Czeck alludes to but it can be a bit of a bugger if you get it wrong. We've been bringing in bikes and parts for a few years now, as have a number of other forum members and the key is to find a good shipper with a reputation for not losing stuff. Having said that, Canada is a whole new ballgame with different federal regs to that of America or Oz. I've been using Peter Leahy on the Gold Coast for a few years now and while they can be frustratingly vague as to the status of your shipment at times, the stuff always turns up and the costs are comparable with most of the other shippers. Give Peter a ring and explain your predicament and he may have a contact in Ontario.
Peter Leahy Custom Imports Centrepark Complex, Unit 50, 211 Brisbane Road Labrador Qld Australia 4216. Ph 07 5537 5288 24/7 0412 109 059. Fax 07 5528 9899 ...
www.rolyleahycustomimports.com/

One thing that comes from this and other shipping dramas is to always do your research on shipping feasibility before you bid on something. Most overseas shippers operate out of the Long Beach/Wilmington area of Southern California so it's always a plus to purchase from areas that are withing a reasonable shipping distance from Long Beach. Check online maps as to where your item is in relation to Southern California and then shop around for a good internal shipping fee. Many folks make the common blue of buying a cheap bike from one of the mid west or eastern states and then being surprised that it costs as much as you paid for the bike to ship the bugger to your export shipper on the west coast. I try and limit my purchases to states west of the Rocky Mountains to save on internal shippping. Also make sure you have blue slip title paperwork. Without it you could be prevented from exporting the bike. Some shippers will tell you that a sales reciept is good enough but I've been led to believe that US authorities have really cracked down on that loophole. The laws were strengthened to help prevent the exodus of stolen cars to Eastern Europe and Asia. If the bike doesn't have title the only way to ship it is to dismantle it and ship it as 'used spare parts'. Removing the engine and wheels and packaging them seperately is usually good enough.....good luck.

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:14:07 pm »
Thanks for that quick info on shipping.  I am lucky that the bikes are being kept by my mate so there is no extreme rush to find a shipping company.   I will give peter leahy a try and see what he comes back with.  One company here in Sydney (FlashFreight) just gave me a quote of $196US per cubic metre from Toronto.  That seems pretty reasonable - so I am estimating that a crated bike will be about 3cubic metres and about $600US... plus any other charges for GST and paperwork... 

Does this seem reasonable and legit?

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:39:40 pm »
the best way is to get the bike pulled apart and boxed up.then import it as used spears no customs drama then.
cheers
jim

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 06:12:15 pm »
$196 per cubic metre sounds cheap?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 06:44:16 pm »
PLUS GST
PLUS DUTY
PLUS WHATEVER EXTRA THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH COMETIMES CLEANING
JIM

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 06:50:02 pm »
Yeah, I know they are going to sting me wherever they can.  I thought that $200US per cubic metre sounded pretty cheap.  I will go and see this freight forwarder and see how sure he is about that price. Luckily his depot is just around the corner from me here in Sydney....

albrid-3

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 08:16:13 pm »
I had a quote from mlbourne to Ontario Canada for 50kg box, $1780, go figger. bought and engine from the same place 125 engine and it cost $150 , ( figger that one out )