Author Topic: TS250X 84 model info required  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
TS250X 84 model info required
« on: June 21, 2009, 03:59:52 pm »
Guys,I'm in quite a dilemma :(
I took my nice white 84 model TS to CD6,(had a ball too,it was well organised,food was good,just a fab showpiece for old bikes and great people to all get together and enjoy :D :D)and encountered servere front and rear shock meltdown.
I had the rear shock re-built in December last year and the mechanic who did the job said it had,had a hard life and not to expect too much.Always kept the oil in the front shocks replaced regularly never had any problems with them before.Anyway, a mate who came along with me for the ride out,did both the easy and hard enduro loops with no problems except that both the front and rear shocks went south on him.
Late on the Saturday arvo while doing the hard loop he caught up with a marshall who couldn't believe how much the rear end was bouncing around on him.On mates return to camp we agreed not much could be done for the rear but,we'd change the oil in the front forks to a heavier grade.Upon getting the top caps out,we discovered the top tubes were rolled over and the washers holding them in place were buckled.End of any riding for Sunday  >:(.
A few things I'd like to know is:

Firstly,are there any repair manuals for the the TS 250x series,I've looked and have had no luck,is it lumped in with the RM series repair manual of the same year?

Secondly,was the mechanic who repaired the rear shock having me on about not to expect too much?

Thirdly,if the mechanic was right,where abouts can I get an after market rear shock for the bike?Being dubious about buying second-hand only to find I've wasted my money.

Hope someone can help as she has performed well for me over the years and would like to keep her chugging along.Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: TS250X 84 model info required
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 05:32:56 pm »
i have a genuine workshop manual for one of these, not sure if its the early 84 model with no exhaust power valve or if its for the later powervalve models (AEC)

you can usually find them on ebay Australia or UK but not USA. Im pretty sure i got mine from ebay UK.

Shocks were alloy bodied and wear out if its had a hard life and no oil changes. You have option of fitting a new steel body and use as much of the original parts as you have got that are still ok, or get someone to custom build you an Ohlins or similar which will be more expensive but you will have a better shock.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 05:38:52 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

DR

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 05:44:07 pm »
Mark, I have an '84 Jap import TS250X and I also have the workshop manual. Problem is both are up at my brothers place in Childers. Trying to get up there to get them back along with my DR500 (about 7 hr round trip) but I'll get him to post the manual back so I can scan any info you require. Also have the parts list which isn't easy to find either ;) The shock should be rebuildable at RAD's. They had a different linkage setup to the RM's of the era so it's not likely any RM shock will bolt in. I'm really looking forward to getting mine back as it's done little work and still very nice to ride :)  

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 06:23:04 pm »
If its any use, I've got a very nice pair of forks from one of these. Actually, I've got a complete front end, inc triples and headlight and everything.

I'm close to putting them on Ebay, but will accept any half-sensible offer - only selling to make room and to pay for some of the fuel costs to the Harrow vinduro.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:50:06 am »
Thank-you for the swift replies, LWC,Doc and Nathan.
LWC,funny you should mention AEC.My side covers have AEC on them buuutttt,the bike hasn't got a power valve!The previous owner obviously wanted to make it look trick,adding later model plastics and painting the tank in the white colour scheme.It worked a treat cause I bought it.
Pulled the tank off the bike 5 mins ago,looked underneath and can see where the new white paint hasn't covered in places,it has revealed it used to be red in a former life.Aahhh the joys of buying a motorbike model I know nothing about.
Did the same thing with my missus and after 9 years I still know nothing about her!
Doc,thank you for the reply.I was almost tempted to buy an RM shock thinking it would bolt straight in thanks for the heads up.Childers is probably a nine hour round trip for me.Project I'm working on has almost been completed,if and when that finishes,(1 to 2 weeks of work left)and you're keen,I can do the trip up for you.
I'm always into going somewhere never been before.On the way back I can go via Manar Park out Proston way and blast the cobwebs out of them for you. ;D.
Nathan,thanks.Mate I'd be very interested,in the forks,if only to have a spare set.Name a decent price,cause I got no idea what they're worth.
Oh,and lotto was last weekend,and no,I didn't win!
Thanks a thousandfold guys.

Cheers,Mark.

I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.