Author Topic: shift shaft dilemma  (Read 1943 times)

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
shift shaft dilemma
« on: June 22, 2009, 02:43:54 pm »
Guys,put engine back together after replacing the shifter shaft with a brand new unit.Could only get 1 and 2 gears.Engine apart again,dry shifting on the bench,same problem.Shaft assembly was put on exactly how it left the old shaft,new shaft appeared and measured exactly the same as old shaft.Put the shaft assembly back on the old one and it worked ok (splines gone though).Took a complete shaft assembly out of a 250 5spd put it in and this works beautifully  dry shifting on the bench.Should we continue this and put the rest of the engine together and try it in the field?Any ideas what is going on here?Hamster is giving me an old shaft assembly to check against.CZ gurus where are you?

Offline hampster

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: shift shaft dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:45:08 pm »
Hi shortshifter,

Had a look at the shaft i was going to send you and compared it to the one in my 400, some one has fitted a 5 speed shaft? so this means that i will have to obtain a 4 speed shaft as well.
does any body have a 4 speed shaft part number 980 - 24 - 100 for sale or can swap for a good 5 speed and rum.

Chris.

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 04:29:02 pm »
Hi
the 5 speed shift mechanism will shift 4 gears , but the 4 speed mechanism cant shift 5 gears, the difference is in the ratchet mechanism ,
 cheers 

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 10:21:32 am »
Yes Jikov the 5spd does work beautifully on 1 and 2 gears but needs a "double shuffle" on 3 and 4 when we tested it last night.So I think we will get another 4spd one.Good to know you can use a 5spd in a pinch though.

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 10:50:23 am »
Hi
 If you are doing this shift test on the bench make sure you have "weight" on the countershaft (sprocket),and turn the clutch (mainshaft) while you are shifting.
cheers
Michael.

firko

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 12:14:49 pm »
Wow Paul, you're really getting into the ugly old thing. Don't forget the progress photos matey. I found an inner fender and some other little bits that I'll bring up for the Nats for you........

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 10:17:29 am »
Ok Mike,we'll try that and thanks for that Firko.