Author Topic: parts wanted for yz 125f 1979 model  (Read 1539 times)

juzze

parts wanted for yz 125f 1979 model
« on: June 15, 2009, 06:36:16 pm »
Hi im just trying to get hold of some parts for my yz 125f 1979 model i need ( foot pegs kickstarter and the side cover for the air box.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: parts wanted for yz 125f 1979 model
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:38:19 pm »
Just the footpegs, or with the brackets too?
If you only need the pegs themselves, then basically any early Yammie ones will do the job - I have a spare pair of the correct pegs (same as D, E and other F models, if you're a train-spotter).
If the brackets are the same as D/E, then I've probably got a spare pair of them too.

Kick-starters are avavilable new from Speed and Sport ($$$), but if its a race bike, then new genuine DT175 levers fit straight on and work fine for ~$80 from you local dealer.
Don't f$%k around with the after-market ones 'cause they're rubbish and they're not much cheaper than genuine...

Airbox cover, I can't help you with.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 07:41:09 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mainline

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 05:37:29 pm »
have you got the foot peg brackets, or are you missing the whole lot? If you wanted to go for wider pegs than original, then later model YZ pegs will fit with a little bit of work  http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=6515.0

Don't bother with the repro sidecovers they just don't fit. You're better off finding a decent yellow one from the states and painting it white. Holts touch-up paint in "stark white" is a pretty close match, make sure to prime the plastic properly.

juzze

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:54:01 pm »
I have the pegs but they are completly worn out so i was thinking of trying to get some a little bigger as the ones that are on it now are pritty small. Thanks for all that info i might try a later model one then.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 10:08:16 pm »
Later YZ pegs need a smidgin of metal removed (less than a minute with a file), and the hole drilled out in the footpeg mounts (standard early model is 8mm hole, later is 10mm).

After-market pegs intended for XR Hondas will fit too, but these also need the hole drilled to 10mm.

Alternatively, the better quality pegs designed for pit-bikes work great, and use 8mm pins. But you do need to tweak the springs to make them fit the Yamaha mounts.
I've been paying ~$50/pair for stainless ones (haven't found any cheaper ones that aren't rubbish).

Definitely worth doing.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.