Author Topic: Suzuki Cam Stopper  (Read 1616 times)

Stewy138

Suzuki Cam Stopper
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:31:44 am »
Some of the Suzuki PE models have a 'Cam Stopper' mechanism built into the sump plug - basically a spring loaded pin.  My PE didnt have one in when I got it so I have fitted it recently.  I noticed that the bike slips out of gear and sometimes into higher gears and now I wonder if the 'cam' wasnt in the right position when I put the stopper in.

If anyone knows what the stopper actually does and if there is an installation procedure I would be grateful for your comments,

Andrew.

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki Cam Stopper
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:43:02 am »
Andrew,

There should be a spring loaded ball in your sump plug which locates it self in the dimples in your shift cam as you change gears.  The ball should be a nice fit in the hole in your sump plug to allow it to slide in and out, if your bike is slipping out of gear the spring you have may be too weak.

Regards
Viper 79
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 10:51:30 am by viper79 »
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 02:01:42 pm »
Do your best to get the right spring, gasket and indent device for your bike. I know a guy who had a gasket that was too thick and would not allow the indenter/projectile looking thing to go up far enough to engage the drum properly and it would slip also.

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 11:04:08 pm »
I agree with Suzuki27, The length of the entire "indent" mechanism which includes the plug and gasket, the spring and the cone shaped slide all need to be correct, also make sure you fit the spring into the plug first then the slide over the spring before screwing the plug back into the engine casing.

I once pulled a RM125C motor apart to find some dope had gone and done an oil change and when refitting the plug, put the indent slide in upside down then the spring into the hole in the back end of the slide. The end result was the spring ended up being tangled around and through the holes in the selector drum and stretched out to about 75mm long. He probably then wondered why the thing didn't change gears properly to start off with, then got worse as the spring became more tangled. Becoming fed up with it, he decided to scrape the motor. Thankfully it didn't get chomped up in the gears and cause any serious damage.

Stewy138

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:13:03 am »
Thanks Guys for your comments and suggestions.  I am glad I didnt put in in the wrong way.  Somewheres I did see something that suggested to not change gears while the sump plug was out - eg during an oil change.  That got me wondering if there is a possibility of the pin being located in the wrong indent, or something like that.  I put the stopper in with the gearbox in neutral.

Anyway, the spring I am using is something I found laying around and I will get a genuine one from alpha sports - hopefully that will be the fix.

RMJJ

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 12:44:42 am »
Its correct that the stopper is fitted in the neutral postion. It sounds like your spring is too weak as its not the correct one.
Other things to check are that the drum hasn't worn too much between the indents, the major wear happens between 1st neutral 2'nd and 3rd.
Also the indents for each gear are abit more than just an indent, they should have a hole going in to the centre of the drum to relieve the oil, quite often
these holes get clogged up and need poking through, if they are blocked the pin wont locate properley as the oil carnt releive and it holds the pin off.

It does sound like the spring to me though.