Author Topic: CD6 Organisers,  (Read 4991 times)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: CD6 Organisers,
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 08:31:01 am »
Hey Number 8,
I just read your reply and it might just be my imagination, but it seems there was an underlying tone suggesting that there wasn't a well considered PLAN to invite past guns to CD6? I can assure you that isn't true!!!

I am sure your comments were well intentioned but I can assure you that Ken has spent months and months of his time working on the details of CD6. If he didn't take on this enormous additional workload then the Classic Dirt format would have perished with Ray and the VMX community wouldn't have this feature event to enjoy.

Ray envisaged Classic Dirt as an event for the VMX Community and saw it as a responsibility of the magazine to promote the sport it reflected. It will never cover come close to covering the costs of the time that people put into it and the event is promoted for only the RIGHT reasons. All constructive suggestions are always welcome, as it is really YOUR event, but it is unrealistic to make demands [or strong suggestions] one week out from the event.

I will reiterate the call for all OzVMXers [and/or VMX readers] to heed the call to come forward with contact details for any and all Legends for CD7. Or in fact with any other constructive ideas to improve the event. A simple email or phone call could result in an improvement for all participants.

I also believe that over the course of the weekend that you should make the effort to tip your hat to Ken and Ajay and say a quick thanks for all their work. Also make time to do the same to all the event sponsors because I can assure you that it is only with their continued support that the event exists.

I'm not having a go at you, and I sincerly hope you love the event and come along to all future Classic Dirt events.
See you there,
thanks
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 05:50:57 pm »
VMX42

It was your imagination,I am familiar with what is involved in running an event,from all aspects and I do believe that the intention of the event is for the RIGHT reasons also.My initial post ask "What are your guys thoughts" at no time have I been critical of the event or it's organizers,You a drawing a long bow when you state that I am "demanding or strong suggesting"

I lift my hat to any body involved in producing an event of any description in Motorcycle sport as I have mentioned earlier I have had my share of involvement at all levels and even in the sponsorship stakes,Your preaching to some one that has done it,I am not interested in getting into a dick stretching contest with you as I believe your acting just a bit to sensitively to a post that was generated to get input and some thoughts more along the lines of
"constructive suggestions" It certainly sounds like you are having a go at me,One more thing even a week out from the event it would be possible to make contact with some of these guys I am sure that they would be chuffed to get the invite wether they could get there this year or not

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 06:49:27 pm »
I think what the guys are trying to say No 8 is that what you are suggesting is already in place & always has been for Classic Dirt.

Their will always be a "new" old Name that comes to mind & if so then please forward the info to VMX Mag.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 07:59:18 am »
Hey Number 8.
That's great. Always happy to be wrong.
See you in a week.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 10:09:58 am »
Just by way of a clarification - we do actually cast the next as wide as possible for VMX Legends to attend Classic Dirt.

This process happens months before the event is to take place. Unfortunately, many can't make it (for a multitude of reasons) and some don't even reply.  :(

As VMX42 indicated, if there are Legends out there that want to come (and they should be genuine legends of course) please provide details directly to Ken, although it is now very late to get it organised for CD6 and this may prove difficult.  :-\

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 03:00:33 pm »

I just returned from riding my 69 Husky 360 in the first riding session and there was a guy and his wife looking at my 67 360 Viking, we got chatting away and i asked what his name was, the answer was Matt Daley. He and his lovely wife June arrived for a look at 10.30, I dont know how they knew about CD 6, i think it was a spur of the moment decision for both of them to attend CD 6.
I asked him if he would like to take part in the Legends display laps, he said he didnt have any riding gear or bike and wasn't all that keen on making a fuss. I raced over to the VMX tent and spoke to Ken, AJ and Jeff they could not have been more helpfull in arranging for Matt to be included in the Legends session. I offered him my bike, shirt, boots, Ken lent him his helment, and Tim (maicopunk) lent him the riding pants, so with a little organisation we had him kitted out ready to ride. It was by no means planned and the VMX guys handled it perfectly. 
1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

Jimmy

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 04:31:04 pm »

In amongst everything else, I'd just like to say what a top bloke Peter Ploen is!  I didn't know much about him before the weekend. For a not-so-young bloke he rode damn fast, was incredibly enthusiastic and, after watching him ride on the Sunday, I later saw him chatting to the bloke who was camped next to me (we were right up on the hill).  He just seems to have a sincere love of old bikes and is a very generous person.

Watching the Legends laps were a highlight for me.  I'd be happy for every Classic Dirt to be like that was.

Jimmy

ps; can I give a special mention to the hot showers - excellent!