Author Topic: A Broken Drill bit  (Read 1434 times)

dpt

A Broken Drill bit
« on: May 31, 2009, 10:14:51 pm »
How do i get a broken drill bit out of a hole i think it has been there for years, just adding the final touches to the KDX and realise in one of the side plate holes is an embedded drill bit i cant get to it as it is in the hole any tips? >:(

dave

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A Broken Drill bit
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 10:27:07 pm »
theres no real nice way to do this, if you have it close to the surface you can weld a nut on it, if it is donn a hole then you may be able to punch it out. 
formerly Marc.com

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:50:42 pm »
you say it's been there for years. any oil leaks? chances are, if it's made it this far, it may make it a while longer. thats one option.
"flat bickie"

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:07:59 pm »
Hey Vpt,
It may sound a bit bogie, but if it is toward the top of the cover then the chances of it leaking are minimal. Depends if you are trying to make a bike to ride or a A1 resto. Broken drill bit seems a bit sus anyway. Maybe they were trying to drill out a broken bolt so once you get the drill bit out then you still have to get the other out..
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

dpt

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 11:51:50 pm »
Sorry it i the bolt hole that holds the side plates on

Dave

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 11:52:49 pm »
A carbide or 'Artu' drill bit will eat through normal HSS bits.Then drill and tap to the next size up and make an insert for the cases with the large thread on the OD and the original thread size on the ID.Hope I explained that well enough.
Jesus only loves two strokes

DR

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 02:47:11 am »
the budget minded person may think like this..since it's on a frame lug I'd try tapping it and maybe breaking into smaller pieces using a nice hard pin punch (safety glasses advised!) if that failed which I'm guessing it would due to the tab flexing or bending I'd then consider a quick cut and shut job to replace the offending tab. A quick spray of black whack the cover on and no-one would know ;)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 07:06:35 pm »
come in from the other side??,drill a hole big enough to get a pin punch at it?? hth's?
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!