Author Topic: Stumped!How do I clean bike plastics?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
Stumped!How do I clean bike plastics?
« on: May 23, 2009, 05:10:11 pm »
Anyone on here,know of any way to clean plastic guards,tanks,etc? My plastics are stained and pretty ordinary looking.I've done the following;
Washed bikes in good car wash detergent,
tried wet and dry sandpaper with water,
put silicon spray on one part and platic polish on another,to see which product worked better,while it cleaned it a little it still remains,crappy.I don't know if using wet and dry is the way to go,as one of my bikes guards showed up all the fine scratches the paper left behind.Any pointers or info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

DR

Re: Stumped!How do I clean bike plastics?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 06:09:35 pm »
have a search back through the 25 odd pages of the tech forum and you'll find some info..here's a place to start but there are other threads on much the same thing ;)

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=2469.0

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 06:28:06 pm »
wet and dry is the way to go. if you have fine scratches you havent gone fine enough with the paper. Then polish with Jif.

http://www.unilever.com.au/ourbrands/homecare/Jif.asp

the one in the white bottle is the one to use.

theres a few other polishes available at auto shops you can use after Jif for a more deeper glossy finish but the Jif is pretty good

you will be able to get your plastic nice and glossy and probably better than new if you put the time and effort into it.

also just check out issue 33 of VMX. its written for tanks but same basic process is used for fenders/side panels.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:40:58 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:50:29 am »
Thanks for the guidance Doc and LWC.After reading the thread links that you've both put here I see that plastic cleaning is a quite often asked about topic.Before I post anything I always check the search engine with my queries and post away if nothing comes up on the topic,so not to waste anyones time.I did enter plastic cleaning in the search box and got another thread entirely,and being new here was not sure what to do next.Could perhaps a much asked for and sought thread like this and others,maybe have a sticky post?Saves everyone time in posting replies to novices like myself,for hot topics.Much appreciated to both of you in taking the time to post these results.Oh,and this joint rocks!

Cheers,Mark.
I used to drink a lot.

Offline geraldo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 03:43:51 pm »
don't know if you guys get it in Aus but here in NZ we have a product called Chemico - sold in supermarkets next to jif - comes in little round pink pot with red lid , works a treat getting dirt and stains out of plastic - is a mild abrasive as well

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 04:32:55 pm »
No worries im always happy to help.

it just comes down to time or money, repro or original
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 06:09:13 pm »
Never heard of Chemico Geraldo,will check it out though.Know what you mean LWC,happy to spend the time and save my dollars.
I used to drink a lot.