Poll

Bultaco frame colour

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Bultaco frame colour  (Read 5856 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Bultaco frame colour
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:48:24 am »
I'm sure this has been asked before so please be gentle with me. Can anyone out there in Bultacoworld advise the correct shade of silver for the frame on my Pursang MK3 restoration?

felix7

Re: Bultaco frame colour
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:18:36 am »
Jerry: Officially, it's PPG Crystal Silver metallic 34926 (available o/s but paint isn't plane friendly). There must be a similar car enamel in a can from Holts. Either someobne knows the Holt equivalent, or you may have to take a sample and get an expert to match it up. Sorry, not much help - Felix

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:41:40 pm »
Jerry,
       I tried Holts and just about every other brand (I now have a fine collection of silver cans with one squirt used).I ended up getting it matched at a car paint shop, bought a spray gun and a litre of the paint/thinners and had a go. (did three frames at once). The colour match is great and they look fine.
       My son tried another method on his bikes. He got the paint colour matched and put into spray cans,it turned out a very poor finish and he is now looking at repainting with the gun. With your parts prepared to paint by you, a spray painter (with matched paint) may also be a viable option ... it all comes to $$$$ and what sort of resto you are trying to achieve.
       Original Bultaco paint was very low grade,It is more of a grey than a silver, some people say it was shoe polish ! The colour also varied between bikes and models.
Like felix, this is probably not helping you much and is just my experience.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 06:26:41 pm »
Thanks Felix and Moto for making the time to help. On the contrary your responses are helping me to decide not to get too caught up in chasing the exact "shade". I have heard stories of variable shades and inconsistancies particuarly with the pre 70 models. Thanks again Jerry

Offline searbs

• C-Grade
  • Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 11:38:20 pm »
Jerry,
I tried White Knight Rust Guard Epoxy Enamel "Aluminium" on the frame (under the tank) of my Mk 4 Matador and the match was pretty close, if I was going to repaint it would do me.
Don't know if the original colour was the same for mk 3 and 4
searbs

MarkB

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:51:12 pm »
Jerry
I use VHT Engine Enamel "Universal Aluminium" SP127.
Mark

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 08:01:13 am »
Just to add my two cents worth ,on any of my bikes with a silver frame , bully's or otherwise , I use irridescent wheel silver applied with a spray gun.It may not be a perfect original match , but it looks good , is very hard wearing , and it has a clear already in the paint.

Roger