Author Topic: Helmet restoration?  (Read 7764 times)

Re: Helmet restoration?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 03:09:16 pm »
Im prety sure Arai do a white full face. I got a white open face from Arai

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 07:30:22 pm »
So I'm not the only one who'd jump on a reasonably priced solid colour helmet? I'd love a simple, straight metallic grey helmet, be very happy with a black one, and happy with a white one. Best I can manage is a combination of those three...

I'm calling shenanigans on the "NZ CSIRO" stuff. My old MDS was over a dozen years old when I retired it. Bashed shit out of it with a hammer, before hack-sawing it in half. The hammer did remarkably little visible damage, but after sawing it in half, I discovered that the styro-foam liner was seriously compressed on top.
If I'd had a big bingle in this helmet, it was never going to shatter - but the lack of impact absorbtion would have been a real problem.

The sytrofoam is where the safety is. The shell just mostly protects the styrofoam (both in the weeks/months/years leading up to the big hit, and during the big hit).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 08:17:04 pm »
Brad,
We need pictures dude.  Arai are not known for their budget price, but are always worth the spend.  I've got 2.
Do they look anything like the old style ??
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 08:49:57 pm »
open faces are available over the counter, even round scooter retro ones, all Dot approved.  I lost as why you cant find one ? 
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 09:47:47 pm »
http://www.araiamericas.com/helmet_details.asp?model=VXPRO3 Here are solid colours in Arai. Not cheap but you know the drill!

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 04:04:46 am »
open faces are available over the counter, even round scooter retro ones, all Dot approved.  I lost as why you cant find one ? 

Freaky the problem is that most of these are polycoarbonate, most are not Snell approved-and most are not in a desirable color. I have seen black, wht. and red. I have one of these in black as well. I think the school bus yellow, silver, and orange are the most preferable vintage colors, that said I would spend 199 on a very good open face fiberglass, that I could paint how I wanted over a 59.99 poly helmet(though I do not think a fiberglass shell is a safety advantage over a poly shell). BTW I have tried the Krylon "Fusion" plastic paint on some sidepanels. After sanding with #600 grit and several coats(must wiat 7 days between coats) the finish was not acceptable to me. In my opinion it was obvious as a painted suface due to the orange peel( which can not be color sanded and buffed out)-and no clear to put over it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 07:37:58 am by Maicojames »
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Quicksilver

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 06:40:05 am »
This little beauty protected my head as a young bloke. Hell even met Aussie standards of its day.  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 06:57:15 pm »
Here are the photos of my Arai with old school peak and mask. Still has Conondale dirt on it!