Author Topic: Latest News on Harrow Vinduro from Drakie  (Read 3198 times)

Mick

Latest News on Harrow Vinduro from Drakie
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:07:41 am »
HARROW VINDURO (Vintage Enduro)  25th & 26th of July.

This event is open to all old (pre 1985) trail and enduro bikes and riders over 16 who care for the days when men were pounded by underdone suspension and dodgy brakes. Why get nostalgic about those old relics?

Well, it harks back to a simpler time with uncomplicated technology and low seat heights. Dance like a butterfly, sting like a bee. OK, and the look and sound of Bultacos, Ossas, SWMs, Can Ams, Rokons, KTMs, Huskys, Maicos, BSAs and the ITs, PEs, KDXs and XRs rattling around the hills gives you some perspective of where we’ve come from.

Now, we aren’t aiming to recreate the legendary impossible events prevalent in the 70s that destroyed bikes and bodies; so the course is an interesting 30 minute loop in and around the dry Glenelg River , Harrow , Victoria (5 hours west of Melb).

The course will launch you into the river right where Major Mitchell did in 1836, but now things are a lot drier. It is a nostalgic recreational ride yet you will be released in waves of 3 one minute apart (starting 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C etc) but you will have to start your bike from cold and you have one minute to do it. The spectators love this. Bikes will be impounded in the ‘Park Ferme’ overnight. You will have a time card issued to keep your own score of your times and laps and we keep a record of your laps to make sure you don’t get stranded. A recovery vehicle will be positioned mid lap to haul you out if your bike expires. However there is no particular time you have to check in or out once you’ve done your first loop. Have a cuppa, a chat or just collapse on the ground. You can do as many or as few laps as you wish. Generous benefactors of this event are Ballards Off Road with all entrants going into a draw for a tough BOR Jacket. Geoff has also supplied a lot of other goodies as give-aways. Heidelberg shops Stacker Motorcycles and Riders Edge have chipped in with even more goodies to distribute.

Prizes will go to:

Oldest bike and rider combined.

Most Original Bike

Quietest Bike

Furthest Distance Travelled

Rarest Euro Bike

Rarest Jap Bike

Best Pre 1975

Best Pre 1980

Best Pre 1985

Best MX to Enduro Conversion

Most laps done

Most Team laps done

Now for the fine print: Bikes have to be 1984 models or earlier. They must have headlights, a forward facing number board, a taillight and an effective (94 db) muffler. Do not slap a headlight on your MXer and be expected to be greeted warmly. There are plenty of events for VMX elsewhere. Camping is encouraged on the property, campfires obligatory and the generous owners of the historic Hermitage Hotel are putting on a two course meal on Saturday night for $15. Hot showers $2. Bookings on the entry form essential. Breakfast will be available at the start area on Sunday as well as lunch. Enter as a team with two mates so you can start and ride together. Let you imagination be your guide to your Team Name. (God help us).

Costs; an entry is $60 (MA licence holders $45), late entry $70 (MA licence holders $55) and the cost includes a one event recreational licence. Don’t forget you need ambulance cover. As a recreational event only level 4 first aid will be on site.

Arrive in daylight and walk the course on Saturday. Jetting runs allowed under supervision on the special test track only from 3 – 4 pm. No off course riding.

Riders briefing 8.30 am Sunday, first riders cold start 9.00 am. Finish 3 pm.

Riders will do a warm up lap of the special test after the cold start before going out on the course proper. On the return loop you will be timed for your info only on the special test. There will be a route check at the far end of the course, half way around.

You have to pre-enter so go to www.classicscramble.org.au  for entry forms and you must include a stamped self addressed envelope for your starting number and final instructions to be returned to you. Entries close on 17th of July to enable us to get the start info to you in time.

A little about Harrow township www.harrowtown.com.au

Check out these sites for news and updates.   http://endurobiketalk.com/forum/index.php          http://girlsndirtbikes.com/forum/index.php

See you there,

Peter Drakeford.

Enquiries 0422299003

[email protected]

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:42:29 pm by Mick »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Latest News on Harrow Vinduro from Drakie
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:32:20 am »
Hey don't forget the old prize/trophy for :

Wish my wife was dirty as my bike

Only time I was highly disappointed when my hubby won a trophy  ;)   ;D

Happy Harrowing @ Harrow Vinduro  8)
cheers
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 08:35:02 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:47:08 am »
Hey don't forget the old prize/trophy for :

Wish my wife was dirty as my bike

Only time I was highly disappointed when my hubby won a trophy  ;)   ;D

Happy Harrowing @ Harrow Vinduro  8)
cheers

My wife was after taking photo's all day at manjimup!!lol
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 09:19:08 pm »
Is anyone coming from Adelaide for this?

If you've got some spare room in the trailer/ute/van and can transport a bike or three in exchange for cash/beer/back-rubs, then please contact me (phone or PM - 04000 23847)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Mick

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:25:34 am »
Drop into my forum Nathan S and put this to people there as I have people on the forum from SA that are coming to Harrow Vinduro.

Cheers Mick.

TT

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 07:16:12 pm »
I'm coming over Nath. But I haven't got the SP ready, so I'm coming on the V-Strom.
Can't bring a lot for you that, I guess.....................  ::)
Are you going?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:18:00 pm »
Maybe... I'm as keen as mustard, and can car-pool with MBoddy, but I'm also acutely aware that it would eat into the Montesa/Nationals budgets (time, money and leave pass budgets).

Of course, if I can pick up my ITs, then it makes it that bit more appealing. 

And I owe you beers, so that's one step closer...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

TT

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:31:52 pm »
You don't you owe me anything mate.
But it would be good to catch up again.
Keep me posted.

TT

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 08:17:04 am »
Change of plans! When the family heard I was going, they want to come!!  ;D
Even better. So I'm driving now and can tow a trailer for you.
I'll send you a pm.