Author Topic: VIRUS WARNING.GOLD PLATED VMX BIKES.  (Read 4095 times)

firko

VIRUS WARNING.GOLD PLATED VMX BIKES.
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:16:36 am »
This morning I tried twice to enter the 'Gold Plated VMX Bikes' thread and both times recieved the following message.
               WARNING! VISITING THIS SITE MAY HARM YOUR COMPUTER!
The website at OZVMX contains elements from the site www.ivanmauger.com which appears to host malware software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site containing malware can infect your computer.

To be totally safe I'd avoid entering that thread until something is sorted by Graeme. I've sent this to Graeme as an urgent email as well. Old Ivan sure is a unit. He's undoubtedly a great speedway legend but has shown himself to be a tad 'unusual' off the track. Even his website is dodgy! :-X

firko

Re: VIRUS WARNING.GOLD PLATED VMX BIKES.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:15:48 am »
I saw that Alison has just posted on the gold plated bikes thread and doesn't mention any virus warning. Am I the only one affected by this? If so, why is my Norton reacting and nobody else's is?
I'm running my Norton scan as I write this to see if I've caught anything.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:19:01 am by firko »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:25:25 am »
All good here  :)  though didn't go to visit Ivan Mauger,went here......
Running AVG and Spybot ..best wish's Alison

http://www.statnekov.com/motorcycles/lives12.html
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 11:46:49 am »
I didn't run www.ivanmauger.com either Alison. All I did was to click on the 'gold plated vmx bikes' thread and up popped the warning window. I just tried again and got the same result. I've run both of my anti virus software programs and they've come up clean as a whistle. I'm buggered if I know what's going on but to be safe I'll be avoiding that particular thread (not that I can open it anyway unless I press the 'disregard warning' button, something I'm certainly not going to do.) ;)

I'm working on my VMX column and a feature right now so I'd hate to lose them.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 11:50:13 am »
I'm working on my VMX column and a feature right now so I'd hate to lose them.

Burn it now....to disk   ;D
thread good here.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 12:09:44 pm »
Happy to be set right by any experts, but I believe the warning is being generated by the picture of the gold plated speedway bike. As the picture actually originates on the Ivan mauger website, Nortons is apparently detecting that fact and identifying that the hosting site is on their list of suspect sites. I can't imagine that displaying the image would cause any problems to anyone, however to be safe I've deleted that image. Firko you might try refreshing your browser and try visiting that thread again. If it's still a risk from Norton's point of view you won't be let in, but if it does display then we've fixed that one. I think.

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 06:03:28 pm »
Hmmm, as the one who posted the link/image that pic I certainly didn't get any warnings (after visiting the site to get the pic) from an up to date Norton AV. About the onlt place I get any warnings at all is from Ebay. :-\

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 09:51:07 am »
oops Perths turn today. :(
Microsoft informed us of a significant threat to most Windows Operating systems. There has been some large businesses impacted in Perth today.

Microsoft is currently working to develop a security update for Windows to address this vulnerability.

Please be cautious about using memory sticks, external hard drives, other external media or external WebMail until a fix has been applied.

An infected file will look like a Shortcut (*.lnk) file, and your computer will become vulnerable to external attack.

And the Microsoft Article can be found here ;

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/2286198.mspx

Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 09:58:21 am »
Graeme removed the photo of Ivan's gold plated speedway bike that'd been sourced from www.ivanmauger.com and the threat went away. I'd be extremely careful of opening that site as it comes up on my anti spyware program as being riddled with malware. Ivan strikes again. ::)

Curly3

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 09:08:23 pm »
From my own personal experiences and also knowing people who have had a lot to do with him, I'd be very surprised if it was found that he, "knowingly", had anything to do with anything underhanded.
We're talking about Speedway & Longtrack royalty here.

monaro308

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 11:38:51 pm »
Firko,come to think of it i think you are right!
My puter has cracked the sads and i haven't been able to access my emails through outlook express which comes up with a missing dll files,and i cannot access my windows system folder to get into my registry to modify files.
I checked that  post about 2 nights ago and the next morning it would not boot up to show win/system files missing c drive.
I got in after a few re-boots but still no outlook emails.....have to access on my laptop.
Been trying to sort my shite out without losing my emails and avoiding the reinstall. >:(