Author Topic: What's that tool called ????  (Read 2450 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
What's that tool called ????
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:27:29 pm »
What's the tool called for determining top dead center ??? I'm after one to check timing on my Husky, but neither, Repco, Supercrap or trade tools has 'em.
From memory they look  a bit like a compression tester guage with a floating pin that screws into the plug thread.
Anyone in Brissy know where to get one ?

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: What's that tool called ????
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:30:34 pm »
Dial indicator.
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

DR

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 03:51:58 pm »
I made one when I was 16 or so. I simply knocked the insides out of an old sparkplug then ground a regular 24 tooth/inch hacksaw blade to fit nicely in the the hole, trimmed off the excess, whacked on a small rubberband as a return spring and presto ;D Instant TDC gauge with 1mm increments that's surprisingly accurate ;)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 03:54:42 pm »
Wow that was fast thanks guy's
That's them all right, looks like I'll need to get a standard dial indicator and have the fitting made for the plug thread as none I googled are fitted with the thread.
Pity that one god found is in the U.S..........as always I want it yesterday for the race day two weeks ago.
........or I could just take it to a bike mechanic, but where's the fun in that ;D

Don't go away in a week or so I'll be asking how he f*&k do I use this thing.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 03:58:13 pm »
you should be able to pick one up heaps cheaper than that one CG has quoted right here in good o'le Oz.
they come in either a "long" or "short" length, the longer is better as some head fins can get in the way making a short one just too short.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=dial+indicator&_sacat=See-All-Categories

just make the sparkplug thingy out of an old plug, but getting all that porcelin out will be the fun part :D
enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:05:48 pm by vandy010 »
"flat bickie"

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 03:58:42 pm »
Doc,
I was thinking along the same lines, but only knocking the gut's from a plug and fixing the dial guage into that, rubber bands and hacksaw blades might be the chosen tools of a suzuki mechanic, but we swedish mechanics are a precise bunch.....they make sewing machines too ya know. ;)

Vandy,
That's them alright,  I ws just hoping they would have the plug thread attachment.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:04:04 pm by evo550 »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 04:01:05 pm »
Evo i've got a yamaha one you can borrow with all the attatchments. I'm on the gold coast but will probably be in bris over the weekend.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 05:01:53 pm »
Thanks O'show, I'll check out a few tool shops tomorrow and if I can't hook myself up with one I'll let you know and try orangise something over the w/end.

DR

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 05:08:37 pm »
no worries Evo ;) borrowing one sounds easier but if one were stuck out in the wilderness..that's where the Suzuki Survival method comes into it's own ;D lots can be done with fencing wire and baling string too but I'll leave that for another chapter :D

Vandy, you'd be surprised how easy the porcelain is to remove with a pin punch and small drift, the hole down the guts is a nice tidy 5-6mm dia maybe even 8mm. One must remember their safety glasses though :o ::)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 05:13:31 pm »
I've made quite a few of them, they are a simple machining job.PM me if you want to know more. Beware of using a 50mm face dial indicator as you will never fit them into the head on an air cooled engine especialy while in the bike. You will also need a range of extentions for the plunger. All up a Measuremax 35mm indicator($80) and $5-10 ea for the extentions
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 06:12:55 pm »
Thanks Lozza I'll keep that in mind, luckly it's w/cooled so clearance shouldn't be a prob.

Doc,
I think the Scandanavians also have the wilderness survival market covered.....bet Suzuki don't do one of these bad boys ;D
http://nontimeosedcaveo.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/big-swiss-army-knife.jpg

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 04:00:31 pm »
Oakelee-Doaklee,
Got my mits on a guage today, now to check the timing, which leads me to my next question.
First up, internal rotor motoplat.
Mark on rotor and mark on stator, I'm assuming when these line up is when it fires.
Now timing is .61mm btdc, so I find tdc with dial guage, loosen stator plate and rotate so line on plate is .61mm above(before) mark on rotor, then retighten stator. Have I missed anything?

Which way is advance and retard and what does movement achieve?

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 04:31:26 pm »

Which way is advance and retard and what does movement achieve?

On a left hand side ignition advance is rotating the stator clockwise and counter-clockwise for retard, the opposite way around for a right hand side ignition.
Ban BLACK rims NOW