Author Topic: yamaha plug fouling (dirty little git)  (Read 4129 times)

lms6201

Re: yamaha plug fouling (dirty little git)
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 06:50:53 pm »
mabey the carbon is cumming from other places , perhaps it needs a decoke , (can bits come off excessive carbon build up in the port or exhaust header  ? any one have a thought ?

BONEHEAD

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 07:31:49 pm »
using much gear oil?? could be crank seals , how much smoke is it blowing  oh and another thing just check your coil lead is in the coil , give it a light tug and make sure its secure in the coil. cheers BONEHEAD.

kristan

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 09:27:03 pm »
thanks for all the input guys, think i might be heading in the right direction now. after scouring my parts bins i came accross a spare carb with slightly diferent jets in. For the moment i have swaped the pilot jet which seems to be working, i also swaped out the worn slide and played around with the needle. Seems to be ok at the mo, still a little dark when putting round the garden, but good when getting it in to the mid and top end.
Had a convesation with the mikuni oz fellas and managed to come to some conclusions based on the fact that the further i turned the air/fuel screw out the higher the revs got. I was told this would indicate a too big pilot, the more i thought about it the more it made sense being that the plug indicated a too rich mixture. I dont know about you but a normal setting for the screw would be around 1 and a half turns to start then fine tune when engine is hot. Normally you would not be able to tweek more than half a turn in either direction before the engine starts to bog then you set it in between. whell you could wind it out a long way and the thing kept going!
You learn something new every day i guess?

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 09:52:35 pm »
gt's are a strong little bike once the engine is done they dont stop great first bikepretty much bulletproof once you have it running right
1971 tm400 and PE's