Author Topic: anyone have a service manual for an 11.5HP Briggs & Stratton I/C engine?  (Read 1776 times)

Doc

Sorry, nothing at all to do with vmx excepting I need this said motor repaired to support my vintage habits. Anyway I think I've gone and dropped an exhaust valve and I'd like some specs and clearances and maybe an exploded veiw if possible. If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated as I need to start repairs asap. Cheers

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Old side valve?
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Doc

no the newer ohv type but it's okay, I didn't realize how basic they were and I just found my problem ::)

just have to find where it came from but it looks carburation type screw to me so thankfully I can be happilly slashing my brains out over the weekend..oh joy :D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
have you tryed here? i did a search here and a few came up
http://www.repairmanual.com/index.html  - this place ships fast by the way

i also may know a dealer who could help you aswell
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:45:34 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
More than likly it will be the screw that holdes the butterfly the the shaft in the carb.

Doc

spot on..that be the bugger ba ;) the second screw and butterfly were just about to follow suit :o I was wondering why I lost all throttle reponse and it revved it's tits off for a few seconds before it became very silent except for the tic tic tic of the hot exhaust :-\ I never knew they reved so hard hence I thought I'd dropped a valve :D

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
you may have noticed that the butterfly screws are rivetted over after instalation. tips- i usually place a pin punch or similar upside down in the vice [as an anvil] and then carefully rivet over the ends of the screws. take great care not to bend the butterfly spindle in the process as the spindle is very flimsy owing to the recess or slot for the butterfly plate. notice that the plate goes in only one way. check that the butterfly seals off and the spindle moves freely cheers wally.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Doc

been out chopping this arv and she's all good. thanks for the help ;)

TooFastTim

That's a bit like asking for a manual for a hammer  :P

Doc

well I wasn't to bloody know TooFast :D first time I'd ever rooted with the engine on the bugger and it looks far more complex from the outside than the old sidevalve..obviously all pins and paint and plastic shrouds and I fell for it :D

TooFastTim

Pleased you took it the right way Doc. Did you cut the valve seats, change the cam to something a little more "aggressive" in true tuner fashion?

Doc

:D no, in true 'jeez I'm an arsy bastard' fashion, I bought a new head gasket and exhaust studs, looked at the carbon build up and then bolted it back together ;D bike engines are one thing but these hi-tech stationary donks are best left alone ::)

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
technology ???
Doc,make sure the valve clearances are set at 3 + 5 thou with the piston 1/4 inch down the bore past tdc,these weapons have an auto decompressor and if the clearances are too loose then the auto decomp
won't work properley and the starter can't spin it over.

and look out in the mail later in the week for a long promised gift :-[(sorry about the delay)