Author Topic: wanted early maico front hub or wheel  (Read 2588 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
wanted early maico front hub or wheel
« on: March 04, 2009, 01:47:43 pm »
or front and back wheel  or front conical  hub , let me know what you have
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:49:32 pm by paul »

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: wanted early maico front hub or wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 01:23:37 pm »
Hey Paul - do you still have that big pile of parts you picked up a while back?

That 400 project looks sweet already

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:46:10 pm »
just on the wheels i have a rear steel hub and  mudcatcher rim  and another early front wheel that firko told me was a early maico wheel but since then some one else said they had maico on the backing plate and this one dont so im a bit un sure about the front wheel at present,so that why im asking for wheels or hubs or what avail
this is the wheel in question

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 04:39:59 pm by paul »

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:07:59 pm »
That's the wide hub - pretty sought after to the right restorer.

Rim looks sweet and the conicals definitely look better

Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 05:13:00 pm »
thanks  ;D

albrid-3

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:16:09 pm »
hi paul did you end up buying the maico rolling frame
david

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 07:57:33 pm »
no david he said it wasnt for sale   

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:20:29 am »
More time and a clear head told me there was something not quite right with that hub so I went and dug out the wheel from my 72 501 roller, then the 71 400 front hub and yep, I was right (and wrong given my post) the hub pictured is too shallow to be a full width hub and the backing plate, while I have seen them offered up on evil bay a couple of times on parted out Maico's. The internal width between the flanges as measured was 71mm.

Maico used a variety of hub and backing plate configurations but not that slotted BP as pictured.
Both the 71 and 72 backing plates DO have the maico with little rider cast in logo on them.

Depending on yr and mod the plates were either anchored by a tubular torque bar which is the one in the pictures, or a flat fabricated plate with a slot in it in which has an H sectioned lug engaged in it.

I'll have to get more techno and learn to scarm  ::)

Dave Mac  ;D

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 01:36:51 am »
Not sure what a "scarm" is but I WILL learn to SCAN pictures soon, lol  :D

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 03:32:11 am »
this what i got from canadian maico
Hi Paul,
Looks like a 71 narrow frame 400. It would have a small full width front hub or a conical either way is right.
Cheers,
John
and the wheel john
small hub full width for 71 and earlier tough to find shoes for them, the rim is not stock they came with a radaelli rim these were added later

On 3-Mar-09, at 9:22 PM, Paul Farrelly wrote:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:34:19 am by paul »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 03:44:18 am »
then there are these too

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:46:39 am by paul »

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 11:19:10 am »

Now you're cooking !

The one above is the one I was talking about on my 71 400, 72 501 and yep - they have the 'rider on the bike' cast in logo (didn't someone say they weren't right - well shit - I must have TWO dud bikes then).

The one below seems to pop up more on the earlier bikes which is the supported by the tubular brake anchor arm - eg X4 360 and it's worth noting the rear plate is different from the later ones too - having an external steel plate to strengthen it (it's one ugly mutha). The wheel you will most probably need to find is the bottom one.

I have no idea of what that other wheel you pictured was - at a glance it looks similar to the Maico wheel but definitely not the full width hub. Is it an Akront rim for sure? Takasago did do a pretty good copy.

Goes to show if some respect had been shown in other parts of the forum Firko would pop up and identify the wheel you have as a jap or whatever  but now he ain't here ???

Dave Mac

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 03:20:42 pm »
.  The wheel is most definitely a Maico narrow frame, square barrel model, full width front wheel with Akront yellow sticker rim. I have the two original front wheels from my Maicos and they're identical.
I recently supplied an identical wheel to Denis ? (can't recall his name right now) in Victoria and it was identical to what he wanted. The hubs you are describing with the Maico emblem stamping didn't come to Australia in any of the Blair Harley imports from late '69 - 71 to my or Per Klitlands knowledge. They appear to be from the wide frame, up pipe, oval barrel models from '66 thru early 1969 when they went to the narrow frame squaries.

Nothing in Maicoland is written in stone as you know. Being a small factory they chopped and changed willy nilly, using up parts from the shelves until they were gone. That's why you'll get 2 '69 models, one with a wide frame, polished outer cases and embossed hub and the other with the narrow frame, slotted small full width hub and sand cast outer cases. A good example is to compare  Mick Hockleys square barrel 350 and mine. Micks is a '71 model, mine a '70 only 10 or so numbers apart yet his came with wide frame alloy fenders, narrow fibreglass tank, riveted seat and polished die cast outer cases, mine came with narrow frame, sand cast outer cases, wide fibreglass tank and fibreglass fenders. Both bikes had the same front hub. Engine wise, outer cases aside, they are identical.  I've modified mine over the years but still have all of the original parts to refit it I want. I have an AW250 front wheel fitted but like I said, still have the original. Mick however, has kept his pretty original and as you can see rom the photo, features the front wheel in question.

I hope this explains it all. ...............................Firko
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:53:53 pm by paul »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 04:50:40 pm »
hey mick if there was a mistake it would not be on purpose and    you could off sent it back