Author Topic: Which digital camera  (Read 5373 times)

firko

Re: Which digital camera
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 08:00:45 pm »
With respect Ji, 5000 is a lot of shots. Are sure it's not 500? In the old film days 5000 shots using rolls of 36 shot Fuji Sensia equals 139 rolls @ $20 per roll which brings it in at $2780 worth of film. Now if you were paid scale for the 2000 word article at roughly $1 per word that'd be losing $780. If 20 images are used (which is extremely rare)  you may get $1000. which works out at $220 full payment before tax for the gig...hardly a living. Let us now look at the time factor. If you 20 shots a minute which is really, really fanging, you'd take 120 shots per hour and at that rate it'd take you aproximately 41 hours to run off 5000 snaps.

It'd have to be a REALLY interesting gig to keep me upright taking pictures one after the other for 40 plus hours for maybe a thousand bucks. I realise that it's percieved that us magazine writers live a decadent hard living lifestyle, snorting coke with sporting celebrities, rooting super models and cruising from gig to gig in first class luxury but even if a case of Grange Hermitage and another Rolex were added to those perks you couldn't get me to climb over a pile of dogshit to run off 5000 photos for National Geographic or any other rag. 8)

Of course I realise that National Geographic pay huge amounts for publishe photo essays but I still doubt the 5000 number, as does Billy Forsyth who rang while I was typing this. He suggests 500 would get you in the door.

PJR

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2009, 08:25:22 pm »
Graeme, I have a Canon EOS 450D and the more I learn to drive it, the better it is. The beauty of it is that you can invest in bigger and better lenses as you can afford it. As good as the fixed lens cameras are, the versatility of the EOS and Nikon D90 leaves the compact fixed lens stuff for dead.
I realise that it's percieved that us magazine writers live a decadent hard living lifestyle, snorting coke with sporting celebrities, rooting super models and cruising from gig to gig in first class luxury
I've noticed the Jags, Beemers and Maseratis parked in the VMX parking lot that last time I visited their beachside corporate suite. How many Jaguars does Fiko own now anyway?  Ah, the lifestyle of the rich and famous.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 04:10:20 pm »
Ji,  do we get to find out which pictures were taken with what camera?

Graeme, have you got your new camera yet? Have you had your birthday?(you dont have to answer that if you think it is going off topic and inane dribble  ;D )

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 07:42:29 am »
No DJ, not yet. I've been a bit caught up in other things lately and haven't had a chance to get back to it. My day job is pretty busy right now as is home, plus I've been a dill and put my hand up to do a few websites for people.

But my birthday is in April, so a little time up my sleeve yet. I really like the Canon EOS450D and from what I am reading it's good enough for me even though the Nikon D90 is a little better. But the reviews on the Pentax are good too.

So a little more research is needed when I get a moment.

On the matter of ime, I haven't been able to get much of that for bikes lately either! The IT175 proceeds oh so slowly, I couldn't get to the Jack Hogg, and it looks like my first ride since November (!) isn't until the April HEAVEN round here in Canberra. I will have forgotten how to ride by then...

Thanks again for all the info everyone, it's great and helpful stuff.

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 08:45:49 pm »
So you won't have the IT175 ready for the Ring Dinger Roundup then?
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 09:48:54 pm »
Hi Mark, no I don't think so. Some stuff going on in my personal life that's knocking me around right now. There is a chance I'll get there for the Saturday, I was waiting until today to make a decision. I'll PM you and Jock tomorrow about this.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 03:36:20 pm »
Ji Gantor are you going to let us know the answers to the two different cameras and which pictures?
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Ji Gantor

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 03:38:36 pm »
Hi DJ,
You were right.

Ji