Author Topic: Aussie Champions - the good karma thread!  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Aussie Champions - the good karma thread!
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:51:15 pm »
Not, not talking about Gall, Ballard etc.

I'm talking about the blokes who do stuff to help out, that really make you sit back and think "Geez there are some good people involved in this sport!" - stuff that goes beyond the normal bounds of 'not being a cock of a person', 'making sure I get good Ebay feedback' or even 'just being a mate'.

This thread was inspired by a few things that have happened in the last few days:

1. I left my DT1 with Vandy after CD6. The deal was that it would sit quietly in the corner of his garage until I picked it up before the Nats - not too much of an imposition, although a big help for me.
Somewhere along the lines, it got a lot more complex - the (very) short version is that I've gotten him in the pooh with his missus, he's washed it for me, had about 500 phone calls (including while he was on holidays), dealt with some guy I sold some car wheels to, and now taken the bike over to Basil44's place for me.

2. I bought some KLX parts from Greg in Sydney. Jimgau1 offers to go and pick them up - this involves taking time off work, borrowing his dad's wagon, putting petrol into it, driving for nearly an hour out of his way, and storing a big pile of crap that he has no interest in, until I come and pick them up from him.

3. Despite leaving the DT1 in Qld, I've got to get a second bike to Qld, and Noel's trailer has only one spot left. Shit! I call Snowy and he says "Yeah, we've got a three bike trailer, with only two bikes on it, shouldn't be a drama".
OK, so how do I get the bike to him? Quick call to Dennis (oz555ktm) and I'll drop the bike off at his place for Snowy to collect.
No drama for either of them, even though its a half-hour detour for Snowy, and Dennis has to stand out in the cold in a t-shirt.

4. I bought a couple of ITs in Adelaide. Freaky picks them up and stores them for me for a couple of months (rather than the couple of weeks that we'd both intended). Then Tony T picks them up from Freaky, and brings them and Walloway's MX125C bitsa to Harrow for me. Oh, and he goes via Murray Bridge to pick up a Montesa frame for me.
Even tells his wife that she's only allowed to pack one pair of shoes, because his (large) car and trailer are chokka-block full of my shit!
Then he takes the DT1 back to Walloway's place.
And point-blak refuses even petrol money!

So yeah, I reckon they're all a bunch of champions, and are definitely building their stocks of good karma.

I'll bet that everyone has a similar story - let's hear them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:07:38 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie Champions - the good karma thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:15:03 pm »
i second that for  Jimgau1 picked  up a bike that i bought on ebay and stored it ,in the mean time some one bought it from me and before i had time to tell him the wtf was happening the dude rang him self causeing grief,anyway ,and i will be only to happy to return the favour any time he needs me to do something down here in mexico  ;D

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 04:25:23 pm »
you know what!!!!!!!!! there losta good helpful guys here ,most off them will go outa there way to help in one way brads another one that comes to mind and brent j recored the underbelly series for me each week in darwin  to send to melbourne so i could see it when it was banned (woops)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:27:05 pm by PAUL »

firko

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 04:25:44 pm »
What a great story. I've been in this sport a tad longer than most and I've found through experience that the good guys far outweigh the wankers by a humungous ratio. For instance.....

I met a new racer at Nepean on the weekend who was racing a very trick Kawasaki Bighorn flat tracker he'd built back in the early seventies. When both Alan Jones and I mentioned that we're looking for F21m and F81m parts respectively he informed us that he'd bought up a shitload of old Kawasaki dealer stock parts years ago and that he "may have some bits and pieces to suit those engines". Naturally you hear that kind of thing a lot so I brushed it aside and forgot about it. Then, just as he promised, an email from him arrived today CC'd to both of us telling us that he'd found rings and some pistons and to hold off for a week so he can go through his stash more carefully. When I emailed him back asking what kind of money he wants, the reply was "whatever I paid back in the 70's, I'll never use the 250 stuff".

Yep Nathan there are really some good people out there and we need to treasure them........

.....ps I'm with you two, Jim's a good'un. I'm unintentionally mucking him around a bit getting around to picking up and paying for the Antig slider I'm buying from him and he's as cool as a cucumber over it. Don't worry Jim, I'll be over after the Nats matey.

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 05:36:38 pm »
Viper666,E74 and Mainline would be extremely high in the pecking order for genuine guys, They helped me with parts last year and i cant thank them enough. 8) I just need a new shed and some time to finish the project!
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:09:18 pm »
OMG... The risk when starting a thread like this, is that you'll be a jerk by forgetting someone.
It be even worse if that someone is the person that planted the idea of starting this thread.

Guess what I just did...  :-[ x1000.

Original post modified!
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mainline

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:36:08 pm »
I haven't come across a single person in this scene who isn't genuinely helpful.

I've been out of mx for way too long, and when I was originally into it I was just a kid, so the questions I've been asking have been pretty lame on occasion. especially considering that since I've gotten re-involved my tastes have expanded into eras of bikes I wouldn't have looked twice at when I was younger, and therefore know bugger all about.

I was tempted to rattle off a list of names of those who've helped me out but where do I stop. Every question I ask gets answered, any time I ask for help with something, someone jumps in.

The only thing I'm annoyed about is that I wasn't into vmx sooner.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:06:45 pm »
I won't name names for fear of missing someone out.
I would like to thank every one who has helped and offered to help over time.

On odd occasions, (rare) I have been able to help members with things in Darwin and the offer always stands, bike related or not.

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Damo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 10:13:41 am »
I would like to put a big shout out to Shoey and the Husky Central boys (you know who you are) for helping me out with my Huskies.

And also Magoo and Red Devil Racing for his help with the Honda's

Awesome guys I am sure many would agree.