Author Topic: Warren Willis  (Read 2892 times)

Offline colmoody

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Warren Willis
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:41:19 pm »
Warren Willis, a good mate of mine passed away today. Top bloke and a top rider. He was one of the few on a chookie (Maico) that could stick it up the sliders in the early 70's when Hagon Japs and any other grass frames ruled the roost on Short Circuit. A true allrounder and fast as all get out to this day.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Warren Willis
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 07:22:21 am »
Damn....Warren was one of the true Maico heroes, one of the first riders to put the brand on the winning circle in this country. As Col said Warren really stuck it up the sliders back in dirt tracks hey day and was instrumental in making Maico the dirt trackers choice of the era.
In recent times he'd restored and raced a nice 440 Maico at Nepean. He was a good bloke and he'll be well missed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:46:49 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:26:32 am »
That's very sad news, I only posted a great shot of him at Salty Creek a couple of weeks ago.
He can't have been that old, whatever age it was too young.
Best wishes to his family.

Offline AL161

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 05:18:43 pm »
Wazza was a top bloke. A country fella with a quick wit and a great turn of phrase. Bloody good rider too. I will miss him a great deal.

Curly3

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 06:54:24 pm »

This is the photo I mentioned before.
As Col said, Warren definitely took the fight up to the Sliders.
Ken Bushnell and Scaysie were the other leading Maico riders that I recall.
Without going into too much detail, what happened Col?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 06:56:29 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline colmoody

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 07:52:36 pm »
It is just speculation at this stage as the formalities as to cause of death will be determined over the coming days by the relevant authorities but a mate of Warren's and mine whom is a copper at Tamworth spent a bit of time with Warren's family last night called me today and reckoned that it was a heart attack.

Please understand this is not the official cause of death at this stage.

gggsxr11

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:29:55 pm »
so sad to hear about wormy passing  i lived at narrabri for about 16 years where he lived and knew him well,he worked on the railway there as i did,also ran into him at wsbk at phillip island this year after have not seen him for about 6 years,my mate bought a maico 250 off him about 20 years ago and we used to go riding,i had an old mx250b and the old maico went like a train,i think my mate actually sold it back to wormy as he had a great collection at the time.on the weekends when us amateurs were ridin occassionly warren would show on his 440 and cover us in dust as he rode round the outside of us on the corners and disappeared down the straight,he was a god of maico's.
so sorry to hear that news,will always remember him,great bloke.