Author Topic: How is the recession going to affect VMX  (Read 1189 times)

Hornet

How is the recession going to affect VMX
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »
You hear and read about the recession constantly , what effect will it have on the sport?

mx250

Re: How is the recession going to affect VMX
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:07:54 pm »
You hear and read about the recession constantly , what effect will it have on the sport?
Like the rest of society, it will still exist but the edge will be taken off things. Bikes will sell, but will take longer to sell and  sell for less, events will happen but fewer will attend etc etc.

I think as it affects me it will affect others. I'm still involved but have my horns pulled in somewhat.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 04:12:10 pm »
I can, at best, afford to attend only 5 of the 12 meetings here in W.A but if this $950 from the Gov comes through I may be able to attend more but it's a case of "time will tell" at present.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 04:13:13 pm »
I think most VMXer's should be on the safe side as we have been more maturer with our money than the younger say 20-35 age bracket.I don't think they have been taught or they just enjoyed the ride on the big wave we have just fallen off.
(well I would think we should be more maturer,as some of the next generation are bank illiterate).
I believe some are baby boomer kids that have been spoilt like there parent.(with good luck to them of course)
The  70's and 80's where the good years in oz.
VMX Nationals are still on aren't they  :o
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:15:50 pm by vmx247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:29:12 pm »
corse it is ,if it effects normal life, then hobbies must suffer to some degree

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:54:55 pm »
theres some really nice bikes for sale at the moment. I think it is great chance for the speculation to go out of prices a bit and for a few more bikes to come on the market as people free up cash.
formerly Marc.com

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 12:23:17 pm »
It certainly is having an effect on advertising and promotional budgets.  ;)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 01:12:52 pm »
Been seeing a lot more 'rare' stuff on Ebay, and seems to be more people clearing out their older dirt bikes (not always VMX, just people trying to cash stuff in).

It could have some good sides for VMX if we market ourselves properly, as we did during the last recession. Particuarly, I reckon that modern MX will decline as people won't have the spare money - but a lot of the older blokes could be enticed to get back onto an 'old banger' to keep racing for less cost (I'm mostly talking about pre-85 and The Class That Cannot Be Mentioned here).

Similarly, I can see a lot of service providers suddenly finding that they need to cut their prices significantly to stay in business. Some will find that their previously thriving business is no longer viable, and others will doggedly hold onto their old pricing structures and sink themselves because of it. Only a few genuinely talented/lucky businesses will be able to carry on as they have been.

If you can sustain your income (ie: Stay employed as a wage earner), then you're actually better off during a recession. I hate the uncertaintly, and I hate how its been affecting some of my friends, but (from an entirely selfish point of view) so far this recession has seen reduced interest rates, and lots more cheap stuff for me.
You'll never hear me gloat about that, and I am only too well aware that even my government job is now a lot less secure than it was, but that's what's happened to me so far - so I certainly have no reason to jump off of a bridge.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.