Author Topic: Rickman kit for BSA frame  (Read 4754 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Rickman kit for BSA frame
« on: January 11, 2009, 11:00:00 am »
I have Rickman kit designed for BSA frame, consists of tank, seat unit, sub frame, looks like it bolts up to BSA oil in frame (A10 ??), any thoughts on which frame.
formerly Marc.com

firko

Re: Rickman kit for BSA frame
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:05:17 am »
Got a photo to show us Marc? Many of the Mk3 or 3A Rickman frames are the same, varying only in the engine plates. Sometimes it comes down to minute measurements between thge engine plate holes, or a bend here or there that are hard to pick up by eye. The frame number may also give you/us a clue to its origin.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 11:44:30 am »
this is not frame kit, it is tank and seat kit that Rickman made for a stock BSA frame, it has a sub frame that bolts up to the shock mounts and the front seat mount.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 11:54:45 am »
Oh sorry..I misread your post. Can you post a photo anyway? I've never seen the kit you describe. Sounds like the original Mk2 Metisse kit.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 01:57:00 pm »
sure it is under the desk in my office with a B44 motor at the moment, has to be a bike in there some place.
formerly Marc.com

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 03:57:28 pm »
 Hi Marc,    I'm not sure about your kit if it's set up for oil in frame, but I had a 350 Goldie a couple of years ago with a complete set of Metisse bodywork as you describe - tank, seat and base, tail, front guard etc.    There was a lot of controversy over which BSA frame it was built on, including a suggestion it may have been an A10.   The frame number checked out as mid fifties BSA Gold Star, which tied in with the engine and it used a hand made alloy dry sump tank in the conventional spot.   All of the Metisse bits fitted the BSA frame like a glove.      The frame number is stamped into the side of the steering head, might be interesting to check yours with some BSA Gurus.       ;)        Cheers,     T250.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:56:50 pm »
a10 a7 dont have oil in the frame.a65 do.b33 dbd33 dont have oil in frame were b40 b44 b50 do.most pre unit bsa frames have a oil tank.i have a a7 duplex frame and it is part of my pre 65 dirt track bike build.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 08:16:33 am »
thanks everyone, what I am trying to work out is which BSA frame will fit. thanks T250 and Jim, I have B44 frame lying about and wonder if I can use it, I think the kit was for A10....its as you describe it T250
formerly Marc.com

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 09:59:49 am »
Hi ,Just read this in the MA museum piece on Geoff Taylors Metisse,
thought it may be of interest or help,
cheers
Noel

"The Triumph variation was not really the poor cousin to the Matchless, as had been demonstrated very effectively in Britain by both Don and Derek Rickman. In fact, the original Mk1 Metisse (French for ‘mongrel’) which was built in February 1959, used a T100 engine in a BSA Gold Star frame, with Norton front forks and a BSA gearbox. That machine swept into history when Don beat the world’s best riders to record the best individual performance at the 1959 Moto Cross des nations at the hallowed Namur circuit in Belgium.

The second, considerably lighter Mk2 Metisse also used a modified BSA frame to house the Triumph engine, with the Matchless variation first appearing as the Mk3 Metisse in 1962. The Mk3 used the Rickman’s own frame design, constructed in Reynolds 531 tubing, and was an instant success. Some idea of the success can be seen from the entry for the 1964 Moto Cross des Nations in Britain, where no fewer than 24 riders were Metisse-mounted."

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 08:14:25 am »
thanks Noel, my short list for frames is a B44 one that is sitting in my shop FOC, or Faber B44GP frame, lets see how the GBP does in the next few months, who knows stuff from the UK might become affordable again.
formerly Marc.com